Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought A bag of Cat food thats 31.5% Protein, Is that to high for the cats and Kittens??. It was made in Red Bay Ala. By sun shine mills. So far the cats are doing Pretty well on it. It was only $5.00 A bag. I was buying 3.25# bags but this was the Less than 3 of those bags..Forgot to Say its A 15# bag!!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
It's not so much the percentage of protien, but where the protien is from. Shoe leather has protein. Read the ingredients. The first ingredient should be whole meat or fish. There should be no corn, no BHT or BHA. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
James, any chance there's a website? Or what's the real name of the food? I'd be afraid of $5/15# bag and 31% protien. All pet foods count the TOTAL protien so they could be counting the grains and the real level of protien be around 10%. If this is the food I"m thinking it is, I wouldn't feed it to the chickens but I'd have to look at it first.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
When I raised cats I could not find a dry cat food without corn or corn gluten in it. You know of any that does not contain that - that does not need shipped?

Maura said:
It's not so much the percentage of protien, but where the protien is from. Shoe leather has protein. Read the ingredients. The first ingredient should be whole meat or fish. There should be no corn, no BHT or BHA. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Wilow, the only raw formula I know of for cats is Serengeti and you have to purchase it from a distributer and have it shipped. There's another brand that, while not raw formula, is really good and I can get it at the feed store here....I just can't remember what it is.

I've tried to feed mine raw....And in their little feline voices they cursed me soundly. Both of mine hunt and will eat their kills...One would think that they would eat raw. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Little brats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts