3000 Ford Tractor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by 65284, Dec 16, 2005.

1. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

The hydraulics on my 3000 are not working veryt well. The front end loader and 3 point work verrrrry slowly, or not at all. If I leave it run for a while it works a little. When I took the fill plug off and looked with it running the oil was "rolling" so I assume the pump is working. But the oil is milky looking. I had to leave the tractor outside this summer. Could water have gotten into the system causing the milky look and the malfunctioning? This is my hay tractor I use about every day so any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

If it's milky lookin then "thars water in them thar cylinders". Could have been condensation but I doubt it. If there is enough to make it milky looking I would look for a place where it leaked into the reservoir.

3. 65284

Hey, thanks for the response. Woud water in the system/milky looking oil cause the problems I described?

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My 3910 has a filter for the hydraulic oil. If the 3000 has a filter it is very possible the filter media has become saturated with water and swelled thus reducing the flow of oil. Regardless, the milky fluid situation has to be corrected. Therefore you need to replace the fluid and the filter and see what that fixes. Make certain you get the correct fluid. Hopefully all will be OK.

5. scott

scott Well-Known Member

what they said !!! it's a ford.... use the exact oil it calls for .... go to the ford dealer ....

6. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

check the shifter boots for cracks, this is one likely area that lets in rain water.

tractors need to be run hard and long enough to raise oil high enough in temperature to drive off gained moisture. most hobby tractors don't run long enough to accomplish this.

the gained mositure Will cause problems with resin filters but also accelerate rusting of parts..i'm not famuliar with the fords, but it doesn't take much of a rust flake to cause problems in some hydraulic valves. changing oil is pretty "cheap" compaired to splitting a tractor in half to work on internals.

get a manual, it could be as simple as a lever setting in the wrong position.

odd, i just drilled a 3000 drawbar for a fellow today.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Pretty sure 3000's don't have shifter boots just a steel skirt around the shifter. Been a long time since we had one here! Is this a selecto speed or standard gear type?

8. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ross, i wished other tractor mfg's had done that. i replace around one boot per year on tractors i have around here...some of the replacements are kinda pricy..

9. 65284

It's an 8 speed with a steel skirt around shifters. I'm headed for Orscheln after lunch for new fluid.

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

What everyone else said is my opinion also. Be sure to schange the hydraulic oil filter on the side of the engine. If this tractor sat outside in freezing weather you might have other problems as the water would settle out while sitting and freeze and expand possibly distorting or breaking something, a definite problem on 8N's with the pump on the bottom and a rubber shift boot.