300 Pound Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by The Melrose, Nov 19, 2004.

1. The Melrose

The Melrose New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4021927.stm

[​IMG]

Farmer amazed by 'woolly mammoth'
    Big friendly giant Griff towers above five-year-old Sam
    A Yorkshire farm has raised one of the biggest sheep in the country - weighing in at an incredible 20 stone (127kg).

And five-year-old Griff the giant Oxford Down ram is still growing.

Farmer Jean Richardson said: "Oxford Downs are the biggest breed in Britain. We've never seen one as big has him and he's getting bigger by the hour!"

The "woolly mammoth", as he is known by locals in Leven, East Yorkshire, is the stock ram of the third oldest sheep flock in the British Isles.

A continuous line of ewes has been bred by the Richardson family at Lamplough's Farm since 1898.

"So Griff's doing a great job keeping up the tradition," said Mrs Richardson.

"He's quite a character and really very tame despite his size."

So tame in fact that Jean's grandchildren, five-year-old Sam and eight-year-old Rachel can often be found riding around the fields on Griff's back.

"The kids love him," said Mrs Richardson, "and he's become quite a celebrity round here."

Griff, who has been stock ram for the last two years, has another year of siring duties ahead of him before he must be replaced to avoid in-breeding in the pedigree flock.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Wow I wonder if he can make lambs that can grow fast or just big. I had thought Wensleydales were the largest breed, not that its important. Great article thanks!

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

My 5 year old California Red Ram is about 250-260. That is a normal size for mature Cal Red Rams and they are known as a medium sized breed.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

That's cute.... ....not that I would want a 300lb sheep. :eek:
    Wonder how much fleece they can get of one of those??

Have to admit though, when my son was showing in 4 H,, and had Black Welsh Mountain sheep,, we saw a lot of Suffolk lambs,, that were as tall as my 34" tall miniature horses.
    To our itty bitty little lambs that we could easily pick up and carry,, the Regular lambs looked like giants.

5. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Rambouillet rams get to 300 pounds.

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Don't Corridales get that big too?

7. Craftyshepherdess

Craftyshepherdess Active Member

Never seen one quite that big. Corries are mostly a merino/LincolnX, while Columbias are a Rambo/Lincoln so get bigger. I saw a Columbia ram at the county fair this year that looked like a horse with a sweater on. As tall as the Suffolks in the next pen, but massive too.

Some of my first ewes were Corrie/Oxford crosses from a commercial farm, they used Oxford rams on their Corriedale ewes and got super-growthy market lambs, but those ewes were just too big for me, some went around 180# dry. I used a Lincoln ram on them the first year, boy, we got some monsters!

-Tish

8. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

Amuses me :D

I see 300+ pound sheep all the time -- Our first ram was a Hampshire... wow, he was HUGE. Nearing 400. I was ten at the time and he came up to my chest -- which would have put him at about 4+ feet tall at that point in time. Took three grown men to tip him over to shear him!

Same with our Corridale ram later on -- huge and heavy!

And we didn't even feed hard -- pasture in the summer, pasture, hay and a little bit of feed during the winter!

9. len

len Well-Known Member

bet he's got a BIG appetite too! :)

10. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

11. kit

kit Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure that is all that big either. My mature Katahdin Rams weigh in at 300lbs - and they are considered just a medium sized breed. And, I know I have seen Suffolks that must be more than 300lbs - and those ones on that site mentioned above must be over 300lbs!! I think the angle of the camera has a lot to do with how big that animal looks. But, just my thoughts....