Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause this? Run time is about 2 minutes before the pressure drops to nothing, its not a bad gage or sending unit, I hear valve rattle when this happens. Oil is adequately filled, maybe a clogged pick up screen?

Had to bring it home in increments tonight, this does not appear heat related but rather run time. The van did set still for about 50 days waiting for steering repair as funds came available. Could this be a clogged filter problem?

Normal pressure is mid range on the gage. This problem just started today.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
As a best guess situation, I think the oil is all collecting under the valve cover and not returning to the pan. Run the engine one more time until is starts to show the symptom. Have the hood up and a rag to clean the dip stick. When the symptom starts; immediately shut the engine down and check the oil. A very low reading on the dipstick would indicate the oil has moved elsewhere. If the problem was the screen on the oil pickup you would have the symptom from start up as the oil pump would be starved for oil from the get go.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
agmantoo said:
As a best guess situation, I think the oil is all collecting under the valve cover and not returning to the pan. Run the engine one more time until is starts to show the symptom. Have the hood up and a rag to clean the dip stick. When the symptom starts; immediately shut the engine down and check the oil. A very low reading on the dipstick would indicate the oil has moved elsewhere. If the problem was the screen on the oil pickup you would have the symptom from start up as the oil pump would be starved for oil from the get go.
I couldn't agree more. A gummed up engine that has a lot of oil galleries plugged up not allowing sufficient oil return to the sump. After your two minute run time, the pump is starving for oil.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Sludge buildup is a possibility after a 50 day sit on a high mileage vehicle. I'd consider doing an oil and filter change...add a cleaner to the new oil...I use a quart of transmission fluid sometimes because it has good cleaners in it. Only run it for a hundred miles or so and change the oil again.

The rattle may be the hydraulic lifters not getting enough oil.

RF

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Most common problem on Fords is a clogged pickup screen. Usually clogs up after a hard higher rpm run which sucks everything off the bottom into the screen. Quick fix is drain oil, remove filter and backflush tru pump/screen by forcing kerosene or other solvent thru oil filter fitting. After letting everything drain pour oil back thru filter fitting to fill pump, refill engine with oil and see what happens.

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
if the oil pressure drops once the engine is warm, it cold possibly be the main berings are shot.
the valve rattle you hear could possibly be bearing noise, or the valve noise from misfire due to the pressure drop, if the hydrolic lifters are starved for oil.

if the mains have 360k on them, they are about due for a refit.

a 300 I6 is not a difficult engine to tear down.

you may be able to find a low mileage one to drop in its place rather than rebuild.

if its the main berings going bad, the noises will get much worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.