30% disabled-what will VA provide?

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by Snowdancer, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I have a question about a veteran who was honorably discharged in 1972 after 4 1/2 yrs in the Navy. He was awarded a 30% disability due to 10% anxiety and 20% knee injury that was surgically repaired while in the service.
    He served in Maine & Peurto Rico-never was in a war zone or aboard ship.

Fast forward to 2005. He's now showing weird symptoms including major forgetfullness, 'zoning out'when bored or stressed almost like he's in a semi coma & shaking-mild shaking all the time but get's worse under stress.

Can anyone tell me if he has the right to use the VA services & if he does how long is the typical timetable between applying to be seen and actually seeing a doctor?

Thank you in advance.
    Kathy

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    30% of currant service connected disability would be $253.80 monthly compensation. The fact that his distress is documentaded as being sevice related is greatly in his favor.

His first action is to be to take his DD214 discharge form to the 'eligability' office at the nearest VA medical facility and seek enrolement. There could be as much as 2 months wait time before he acually sees a doctor, depends on how filled their schedual is. Actually a mild rant (kicking a desk, knock over a couple of chairs) will get him into see one much faster, but will also be put in his medical records. And security will be called.

Actually do not approach the VA without a sponsor; DAV, VFW or such are good advocates if its compensation only that is sought. Is there any insident in the past that enforce his mental disability? If yes have all pertinate records present also, anything that creats a pattern is helpful. Mental health issues get bigger the longer they get left alone and we are talking about 30 plus years here. There are organic causes also, such as tumors or other medical conditions to be considered.

There are also state paid VA advocates, found in the blue pages of your local phone book. The state attempts to get any whom need help to do it at a federal level so the state does not have to foot the bills.

I find that the VA medical personnal are usually very decitated to their jobs and patients but do be aware that they may be practiseing from view points that were the normal treatments when their education was completed.

All veterans are eligable for some types of care, those whom served at certain times are eligable for more than those dureing peace time. 1972 puts him well within the VN era.
    Things that restrict veterans eligabilities are;
    Discharge must be other then dishonorable.
    No more then 60 days accumulated jail time for life.
    And I will need to review to find the few others, its been years since that question has came to me.

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Mitch, he's really more interested in finding out what's going on with either his physical or mental health than upping his award.

His insurance doesn't cover 'pre-existing' conditions nor mental health screenings/treatments.

So he should contact the local DAV(he's a life member) and see if they can act as his advocate or since he's more interested in treatment can he just do that by going through the necessary hoops to see a doctor/doctors?

thanks for the quick response.

Kathy

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

I would recommend he contact the advocate first, they have a way of removeing red tape. Their voice carries a lot of weight compared to a guy whom just walks in.

5. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

If he has a rated "service connected disability" for anxiety, VA should provide all the treatment for that condition and any additional sequelae. For example, he had "anxiety" when he was discharged, in the last 30 years the untreated or even treated condition developed into a panic disorder. The VA would treat the panic disorder.

Additonally, if he is 30% disabled, he may qualify for complete medical care from the VA depending upon his income level.

I am 40% service connected disabled as rated by VA, and the local office keeps trying to get me qualified for complete care, but I don't since both DH and I make too much money and both have health insurance. But they keep trying to get me to fill out the paper work. Definately have him get in touch with a VA advocate.

Nikki

6. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I'm not sure if this has began to interfere with his work, but if he gets into the VA system and has job related problems or gets fired, he can file for unemployability. I was rated for anxiety (among other things) and can't function at a regular job. Not sure of all the requirements, but DAV helped me with the unemployment and VA thing.

7. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Very good info here by Moopups & others. The MAIN thing is to get him "into" the VA health system as soon as possible. The DAV, or other reps, will get the " ball" rolling. He needs to insist on a mental health check up as soon as possible.He will be re-evaluated, to see if his present condition is service related,[ which may increase his compensation], & treated. He will need to be patient, as this may take a little time. Be SURE that he tells the DAV rep/Drs. EVERY single health problem that he has. Going back later, & stating " new" problems that he is suffering, will not be the best way. He needs to claim ALL his problems at the first claim/visit. You can do an on-line search for " PTSD" & see if that may be some of his problem.Good luck !!

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

http://www.mhsanctuary.com/articles/emotmem.htm is a starting point conserning PTSD and brain malfunctions. Should be required reading for everybody. Its a long read, about 30 minutes but it is also the start of the path back from PTSD.

9. carly

carly on winged flight...

The Va has excellent doctors (physchirists) <sp?> who treat mental problems of all kinds. MY DH goes to see a physch and a phycologist at the Va once a month and is on a mild anti-depressent and anxiety med. they prescribed. VA is not just for physical aliments, and his emotional problems are NOT SERVICE RELATED!!

Take him and get some help---------

10. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

ALSO...and VERY IMPORTANT...if he is fired because of his service-connected disability, that is FLAT OUT Discrimination, because it has been noted that the condition exists.

I agree with Moopups...regardless of desire to up his award or not, he needs to be reevaluated...that 30% over time could go up.

I stress to each and every military person I meet, GO TO THE VA AND GET CHECKED OUT, regardless if you think you sustained anything to be rated for. In most states, just getting a 0% rating will get you or your children into college for free. You earned it, so why not get it???