3 things I've learned

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mawalla, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

There are at least three things that I have learned since getting chickens.

1. Chickens are not as dumb as I thought they were.

2. Never go down to the barn without the rooster wacker. (A long stick)

3. If you have free range chickens and you rake up piles of leaves then leave them to pick up later, when you go back to them they will no longer be in piles.

2. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

That reminds me of what I did a few days ago....I was putting some mulch and some more leaves all around 2 little buches I just planted here this past summer. I was getting them ready for our "deep freeze" this winter...Brrrrr!!! I came back a few hours later and the gosh darned chickens decided to get in there & dig around and ended up scratching up all my mulch & leaves!! I was so mad at them!! So....I had to do it all over again!! Silly chickens!!! :haha:

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I agree with you about chickens being smarter! Mine constantly amaze me!

But we don't need a rooster whacker. Our rooster, Rocky, is beautiful and really really watches out for his girls, but he is a sweetie around us.

4. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Oh---and the chickens great ability to scratch and spread things out make them ideal for spreading compost in our garden!

5. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Mine were walkin around on the frosty ground and obviously freezing their tootsies. They took that for awhile then headed for the compost pile and settled in there and warmedup. No dumb clucks!

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

1. Chickens are not as dumb as I thought they were.

Mine are dumber than I thought they would be.

2. Never go down to the barn without the rooster wacker. (A long stick)

Our rooster's spurs are so long, he can't run fast. He has to bring his feet all the way to his "chest" with each step. :haha:

3. If you have free range chickens and you rake up piles of leaves then leave them to pick up later, when you go back to them they will no longer be in piles.

Crazy cats do that too. :haha:

7. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I learned to be careful what I picked up as a rooster wacker! Grabbed a long handled dandelion digger and when Barney the Buff Orp rooster came at me I swung and he was a gonner! Had chicken stew that night... :eek:

Haven't raked the leaves, but they sure are spreading them around!

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't need a rooster wacker. You need to roast a rooster.

9. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Naw, no need to roast our rooster, he is just trying to live up to his name, Black Jaguar, (he's a Black Australorp.) We just carry our sticks to warn him or prod him and he knows to stay away. His son, Hersey, is much more docile, but the girls love Jaguar despite his attitude. The Americana Roosters haven't gotten aggressive yet either. Still I, personally, don't trust any of the roosters.

10. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Bag up those leaves and put them around your chicken and turkey houses for extra protection from the winter.

11. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

My experience has been that mulched plants and chickens cannot coexist. Once they discover there are bugs and juicy worms in the mulch the ground around your plants will soon be bare.

I treat aggressive roosters with the stew pot cure.

.....Alan.

12. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

my chickens are very stupid, I can't wait to kill them cause they **** me off all the time.