Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first strike was a cough and tickly throat right after the kids all left here. The second strilke was a raw throat and sputum. The third strike was lack of energy and a chest full of junk. Wow! Hit me like a ton of bricks and I know the couch is going to be my friend again today. I have so much to do after our family gathering and it just wont get done. Dh has it too but it doesnt seem as bad as mine. I think he,s going to try to work today...Anyone else have this????Wahhhhhh....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ugh, I know exactly what you mean! We all passed that around here in November. I was sick with it for 3 weeks. And now I'm starting to feel sick again. :mad:

I hope you feel better soon!

~Ashley

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yup! DH and I are both getting over "it" if it is the same thing. Mine turned into pneumonia and his turned into bronchitis (but we both have compromised lungs). It has been at least 2 weeks already and this is the first day I feel like I might actually be starting to get over it. I've heard from a lot of other people that they too are having a really tough time getting over it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yep, its making the round in this family too. I think it makes it worse when the kids take turns giving it to each other, insted of catching it at the same time. Yesterday it was my time I guess, body aches, chills and the start of a cough. yuck! I get to miss out on a trip to phx to watch DS#3 and DH try to bid at a livestock auction for DS new 4-H steers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm on day 11 of the same thing....I finally have a little energy back the last couple of days. My chest still hurts to cough, I still can't taste or smell anything. My DH gave it to me as an early Christmas Present.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
WOW!

That screams bronchitis or pneumonia! Please don't tell me you left that stuff untreated, it's not only highly contagious but disabling and occasionally deadly! Don't let that stuff go untreated, see your local doc unless you have better things to do, like coughing up a lung or keeling over :p

In adults whose immune systems aren't working like they used to colds can become bronchitis:
http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/cold-becomes-bronchitis
http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/bacterial-pneumonia

(by the way, a nice little tidbit: You do not catch pneumonia by not dressing properly for cold weather or by being caught in the rain. You increase your chances of being exposed to anything by weakening your immune system when you become colder and wet though.)

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We may all have the same thing or it may be a bunch of different stuff. Right now the worst thing is a lack of energy. I try to do stuff and then have to sleep an hour or at least rest. I really think Im on the end of it though...DH didnt come back from work so he must not have it as bad as me.....

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Organic, I let mine run it's course.. It's a virus that antibiotics won't help. So i waited 7- 10 days like they say you should i'm better now thankfully, it ran through the whole family. I drank alot of fluids and vit C.
The doc i work for if we have the start of a sore throat or a cough automatically he wants to put us on antibiotics, It's better to let your body get rid of it on it's own. But if your running a high fever and if your having pains in your chest or SOB then yea i can see a visit to the doctor.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Organic, I let mine run it's course.. It's a virus that antibiotics won't help. So i waited 7- 10 days like they say you should i'm better now thankfully, it ran through the whole family. I drank alot of fluids and vit C.
The doc i work for if we have the start of a sore throat or a cough automatically he wants to put us on antibiotics, It's better to let your body get rid of it on it's own. But if your running a high fever and if your having pains in your chest or SOB then yea i can see a visit to the doctor.
Yeah, the fever and shortness of breath type stuff can do more than just make you feel icky. Mostly you have to get better on your own, but just throwing out a warning if it gets to something like that, that it may be more serious than your body can handle in symptoms. You're right, you can't usually lessen the power of the virus itself, but meds the doc gives can help lessen the pain and possible health problems associated with the effects of said disease/virus.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have had "it" for three days. I feel worse today than I did yesterday. I just want to sit around and drink tea. Food is gross. I had to go out in the snow and wind to feed the animals this morning and I have not warmed up from it yet. I feel yucky.
Linda

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yeah, the fever and shortness of breath type stuff can do more than just make you feel icky. Mostly you have to get better on your own, but just throwing out a warning if it gets to something like that, that it may be more serious than your body can handle in symptoms. You're right, you can't usually lessen the power of the virus itself, but meds the doc gives can help lessen the pain and possible health problems associated with the effects of said disease/virus.
It is a tough balance. I think too many people run to the doctor for every sniffle which is why we have so many antibiotic resistant illnesses out there. So what usually happens is that the people who shouldn't call the docs are the ones that do and the ones that should call the docs are the ones who won't. That said, DH spent months in NYC after 9/11 and I have an immune disorder. I have gotten so that the minute mine turns to fever/coughing up goop, I call the doc. DH is a little more apt to try to tough it out, and it always takes him even longer to recover. I've learned to monitor my breathing VERY closely because the ability goes so quickly for me.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
So what's the best advice for fighting it off and dealing with it?

Sleep obviously, fluids, avoiding dairy products (if your lungs are congested), eating chicken soup/broth... but what advice does the Doctor usually give?

Linda, when you get chilled like that, take a nice, hot shower - it works wonders in warming you back up and getting rid of that chill.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basically mine is all in my throat and head. I don't have a fever and dont cough to much. I feel like crap though and have been sleeping alot. My throat doesnt hurt when I swallow, just when I do cough. My head feels muddy, for lack of a better word. I just want it gone so I can get my work done. I just got up and now feel ready to go lay down again. YUK!!!!!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My boss was 44 when she died right after Thanksgiving. She had pneumonia. I know of at least three other people in their 40's who have recently died of pneumonia with this bug that is making the rounds. I started getting sick the day after my boss died. I went straight to the doc and got inhalers, cough medicine, then I went home and slept for about 36 hours. A week later I went back for antibiotics after I started coughing up green crud. I am finally over it.

Jena

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I have had something since before Christmas but I believe it is chemical pneumonia. I have some emphysema(COPD) so lungs aren't real great anyway. I have been fighting ants in my kitchen cabinets and sprayed ant and roach killer and inhaled it for sure. I did this at least 3 times over a few days. I don't know what I was thinking. I started coughing and coughed up green or brown crud but only after a lot of hard coughing. I did not run any fever but felt like crap. No energy at all. Finally went to the doctor and of course he put me on an antibiotic and cough medicine. There are few meds I can take that don't make me sick and these were no exception. I took the last of the azitromycin this morning and look forward to feeling better tomorrow. I was afraid to take it and afraid not to take it. I had never heard of chemical pneumonia until friend who is a nurse told me and I looked it up. Hope everyone feels better soon.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have got it too. I have been on the couch with a bottle of nyquil!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts