Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know this question fits the best so I’m going to post it in a couple of different forums.

As you might have guessed I have a post hole digger that goes on my 3 pt hitch and I have yet found the best way to store it. Laying it down makes taking it off and putting it back on a one man and two kid operation. Laying on its side means the power head is in the dirt and the oil could leak out. I have tried hanging it but that’s a real pain because I don’t have any type of support that sticks out over the power head.

How do you store yours? (FYI, I’m a KISS type of guy so I really don’t want to take it apart to store it.)

·
Unapologetically me
21,911 Posts
Plant a heavy post in the ground where you want to keep it.
Back up to the post, wrap a couple straps around your digger and pop the pins out.
Drive away and leave it standing by the post.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We hang ours in the barn with a chain from the rafters ,if this is not an option,
Do you have a big tree near your place where it could hang and maybe wrap a tarp around it to keep it dry? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I back mine up to where I want to store it and drill it into the ground a couple of feet. If I "wallow" out the hole a little, it provides me with enough flexibility to move the unit to attach it the next time I need it but enough support to keep it from falling over. I store my implements (except whatever is attached to the tractor) in the open, which is not the best thing to do.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If you get a couple long wood posts, or a telephone/barn pole. Use your PHD to drill to holes about 36" apart. Put a post in each hole, leaving about 6' up. Drill a hole sideways in each post, so that you can slide a pipe through both posts (to form an "H"). Back your PHD between the poles, slide the pipe through the posts, let the PHD hang and un hook it from your tractor. Be sure to give yourself a little "wriggle room" in the pipe placement.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Dig out a hole and fill it with some lightly oiled coarse sand. Simply run the auger into it for upright storage storage. This should be done under a roof of some sort to keep water out of the sand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.