I have a John Deere 5105 tractor I bought new three years ago. The two arms that go up and down on the 3-point hitch are stuck in the up position. I found the knob that adjusts the drop rate and fidled with that. I even took the arms off, backed up to a tree, chained the lifters to the tree and pretty much destroyed the tree.
All of the other hydraulic stuff seems to be working still.
I called the dealership and talked to the head mechanic. He's never heard of this before. He looked though all of his books and came up with nothing. I'm scheduled to now take it in on Monday and have them open it up to the tune of a few hundred bucks. A few hundred bucks would be mighty painful just now, but I gotta mow knapweed or it's gonna take over!
I would try putting a long (10 foot or so) piece of pipe over one lift arm, crack open all hydraulic connection, and start hanging some weight on it. Or drain the hydraulic fluid, look for trash or metal fileings. Basically there is a problem in your hydraulic valve body, be it an 'O' ring or a ball valve sticking.
Paul, I had that problem years ago on an old Ford. On the Ford I installed one of the cheap drawbars that you use in the lift arms then I used a good comealong tied low to a heavy object and I preceded to jack the tractor down on the back until the front came off the ground and left it there. The next day the lift had dropped down and worked fine for many years afterward without a problem. There is no down pressure on the lift system and the lift has just got stuck very high in an unused area where it is not accustomed to working IMO.
On some of the Massy's and Fords the top link of the three point is a spring loaded valve which is part of the draft control. This could have gotten stuck or jammed. If it was me, I'll try a few good wacks with a hammer. I'm not familiar with your tractor setup but what we found on a massy, the remote hydraulics valve was locking the arms up.
Few hundred in repairs, hmmm Maybe more, like double that.
Went through this last week on one of the JD's. Wound up that the reaction end of the linkage had popped its pressure washer/clip thingy and was not moving the actuation lever when the lever was moved. Put it back in and it worked perfectly.
I have also has one actuation cable unwind so that it worked like a spring rather then working the actuation lever.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could
be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to living sustainably and self sufficiently. Come join the discussion about livestock, farming, gardening, DIY projects, hobbies, recipes, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!