3-point dirt bucket latch problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by PezzoNovante, Apr 11, 2005.

1. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

I bought a new 30" dirt bucket for the tractor, the kind that goes on the 3-point and is either dragged or pushed to fill with dirt. The full bucket is dumped by pulling a rope attached to latch.

Well this one's latch isn't working properly. It won't hold the bucket once there's dirt in it and there doesn't seem to be any play to allow the latch to release when the cord is tugged.

Anyone with one of these things? I could use some pointers on what to look for before I go grinding anything.

And yes, I will contact the place I bought it from, but at best they would take it back or try to order a replacement latch.

thanks

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I just took a look at mine.

There's only one "adjustment bolt" on the whole thing - located on the 'stop tab' (welded to the bucket) to the side of the latch itself. If you have a similar set-up, I suspect the bolt needs adjusting. If the bucket doesn't latch, you will have to back the bolt off a bit.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Is this one of those cheap no name ones by any chance? I've used two or three of these dirt scoops in my life and own one right now, but they've all been heavy duty name brand ones and have given no problems.

Unless a piece of equipment is free or scrap value, I hate re-engineering it just to be able to use it. Once in a while its necessary though. Usually light duty minimally engineered equipment isnt worth the bother at any price.

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple of these, but mine are older ones. When I bought the first one it acted much like you describe yours is. I finally figured out that the trip lever had been bent forward enough so as not to allow it to release. I had to heat and bend it back into the proper position and then welded a piece on to it to stiffen it. On mine there is a round coil spring that pushes the trip lever back in to position, make sure that is not bound up or stuck. And as simplistic as it sounds, before grinding anything.....slather grease over the bucket pivots and the whole latching mechanism, and work it a few times.