3 phase

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Tracy, May 13, 2005.

1. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Just had true 3 phase ran into my shop. We were using a roto phase convertor before but due to expanding the convertor was not very efficient.

I am wondering how much money does three phase add to property values? We are in the process of refinancing and I would like some type of idea of what this has added to our value of our farm.

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think it would depend on who is looking at the property and if 3 phase was wanted or need for there operation,

I would think having the the main lines ran would be a bigger value than the "local"( the power on the farm it self) lines, as in our are it cost to have the main line added, and you have to pay a fee to have it extended or ran to your location, as the next owner may need a different voltage or power need, but having the lines I think are a plus,

If it was a need or desired item I would think it would add value, but it may be a negative if it was not needed, or wanted,

I know it has been very nice to be able to put the old static and rotor converters to storage, in my situation, but in my case I was looking for my needs not the potential property value or some one else down the road,

probably the biggest value is you now have property that would classify as light commercial or commercial.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

it depends a lot on where you are and what use of power you need. if we had three phase installed we could end up being rezoned to industrial at ten times the present tax! here even corn dryers are being eyed as "value added" instead of farm .

4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

We are zoned agriculture here. I did this for my needs also. Was told that once I had true 3 phase I wouldnt know how I lived with out it and I am already finding this to be true. My meat grinders [10 hp] and compressors are running better then they ever did with a phase converter. I wanted to know as far as an appraisel what this would be valued at not for resale. Have no intentions of selling in the future.

5. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

how much does it cost to upgrade to 3 phase? just curous