3 phase 440 electrical questions

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Nov 17, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    My house currant comes from a step down transformer attached to the low end legs on the 440 system. Apparently the transformer exspired so was replaced with another one. The currcet tests hot until you throw the breakers then it displays nothing yet the supply in wires still test hot, what the .............?? Suggestions, answers??

2. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a high resistance connection. It's allowing enough current to leak through to read, until it's loaded down when you throw the breaker. If you're reading this directly at the transformer output, then it probably either has a bad winding, or a bad connection on a lead or terminal.

Bob

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Problem finally cured, its was the supply lines with a break prior to the meter, public power company employ did not see the break because it was diagonised at night.

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Glad you got the problem fixed. I had a similar problem at my house two years ago. Power would work intermittently and electric company could not diagnose the problem and suggested a new service/breaker box. Not believing the service/breaker box was at fault I had the electric company come out and pull the meter off the socket. Sure enough one of the leads was corroded and while passing enough to read on a meter there was too much resistance to run anything that drew current.

just my $0.02 worth

BobK