Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone that has never bought t-bills before, they are actioned off, so you don't know exactly what the interest rate will be until the auction takes place and you have already placed your order. Big investors bid a price they are willing to pay for the t-bills and that sets the price for everyone else.

I believe there is a treasury website that posts the most current rates, but I think it is the rate from the last auction. What you will actually get is usually fairly close to the previous auction rate.

It is also much easier to place the order through a broker than through the Treasury website.

If anyone needs help, I can point you to a youtube video that explains everything and walks you through placing an order.

· SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like Ibonds. My current 6 month rate is 9.62% and my next 6 month rate is 6.89%. You have to hang on to them a year. Between years 1 and 5 you pay a 3 month interest penalty but that still gives you a much better yield than savings accounts, high yield checking, CDs, etc.
The problem for some is it is limited to $10k per year per person and you have to purchase through Treasury Direct which can have its own challenges.

· SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This video shows how to buy through Fidelity or Treasury Direct. She also has videos for using other brokers and is a great explainer with many videos that might be of interest.

· SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As I posted earlier, it is $10k per person. You can do $20k as married and there is also a way to gift to children. The woman whose video I linked in post 15 has a video that runs through how you can maximize your i-bond purchase.

On the other hand, you are a little late to the i-bond party. The 6.89% is current rate for 6 months and then it will adjust again based on rate of inflation which is expected to be down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts