3 month old pygmy goats moving in

Discussion in 'Goats' started by vtfarma, Nov 26, 2005.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Hi,

Any advice for a newbie goat owner. We have taken care of goats at a friends farm for years as sitters but now that we have 2 babies coming we are all excited. They are actually for dd and ds. Both have wanted one for years and we keep saying no. We have a section of the barn for them for winter - enclosed and with a solid door. Have hay and shavings in, water and all. What else?

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

hello
    The goats also need as large a pasture as you can make. The more room for them the better. Also, do you have a quality hay to feed them during the winter? And a goat chow? How about a local livestock vet willing to work with goats?

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

And they will need CD/T vaccinations, baking soda, and de-wormer. Good Luck, bye.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the world of goats! ;)

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

What sex are the goats? Make sure if one/both are bucks that you band them right away. Bucks don't make good pets, and pygmy bucks and does can breed at 3-4 months. A pygmy doe bred at that age probably wouldn't live through the delivery, they have a hard enough time when they are adults.

5. vtfarma

fixed male and a female, twins. we have good hay, and grain/chow. They are having a ball - dd is thrilled, ds does not want goats to be his. How soon is it safe to breed "Sugar"? She has the most beautiful face on her. THey have been running around educating our ACD on the proper etiquette of being around a goat. We have 10 acres. THey will have the run of a good portion of those 10. They like the barn, dry and warmer than outside VT in November. Those stupid Guinea Hens are making way too much noise at the goats though!

6. Caprice Acres

make sure they have access to mineral salt and baking soda too! They sound cute, when are we going to be able to see pictures? what color are they?
    Doe pygmy goats could possibly be bred at 7 months, but it is better to wait at least 9 months, and a year of age is even better. I depend mine totally on weight. My breeding season for my pygmies this year is february/march so that my kids are born in summer so I don't miss kiddings while I am at school. I may have my kids born aug.2nd this year bred this breeding season because they are just so darn big, but we'll see. :)

7. vtfarma

Would a salt lick do? Also how do you feed the baking soda? Mix it with the feed? Just wondering. I need to get her a book to read on this, though she has been lurking here as me today off and on reading about goats. I have always loved these little creatures. DH has too but is too tough to admit it. He actually ended up cuddling the male. They both enjoyed it greatly. DD can't wait until she can breed her so she can milk. She wants to make cheese... (shhhh - so do I).

8. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Just put some Baking Soda in a small pan or holder. They will use it when they need it.

9. Caprice Acres

salt licks arent that great. they can't utilize it well. get mineral salt with from your livestock store. well, actually, first go to http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/info/selenium.shtml and take a look at their selenium distribution chart. If you are in an area with alot of selenium, you should get salt without selenium as an additive. If you live in an area with low selenium, then get the mineral salt with selenium addetive.

10. vtfarma

thanks to everyone. Please feel free to offer more advise at anytime. The goats came through the night in their new home very happy. We are in VT so need Selenium. Had problems with cows birthing last year apparently because of selenium deficiency. We will pick that up tomorrow. Thanks again. Laurie

11. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

I have three fainting oys.. i waited till they were 5 or so months old to band them...this helped when they got uc becuase their lil boy stuff was more developed and it will help with that.. unless you have a boy and a girl then by all means band him now...
    Lyn