3 mo old Nubian Doe Died...of what???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by NubianGoatGirl, Aug 10, 2005.

1. NubianGoatGirl

NubianGoatGirl Active Member

I had a beautiful, active, seemingly healthy young doe that I found dead the other morning. She showed no signs of being sick, was still nursing, eating some feed, and had had her first shots just last month. It was a real shock to me when I found her lying on her side that morning. It really just looked like she had fallen over dead. What in the world could it have been that got her? My neighbor (who has goats) came to look at her and said he was baffled as well. Does anyone have any clue what she could have died of? There was not a mark on her anywhere, and I only have 3 mama does and two kids together in the pasture. The other kid is fine. I am still stunned.

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Two years ago I had a beautiful reg. Boer Buckling 2 1/2 mths old. Played all day ate really well that night, husband went in the next morning and he was dead. Just curled up in the corner appearing asleep. Vet said it was probably congenital heart failure. To be sure and protect the rest I would have a vet do an altopesy(?) so you don't lose any others. Sorry for you loss.

JR05

3. NubianGoatGirl

NubianGoatGirl Active Member

That is what I was wondering. A heart defect, or maybe a blood vessel burst or something. It was just so weird. I will just have to chalk that one up to experience. I already buried the doe. Thank you for commenting.

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

Autopsey would be probably the only way to find out.