Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to lighten the load on our pastures as it is getting very dry here. Have these three heifers available as we do not need to freshen more milkers, we are already milking three Jerseys.

These pictures were taken this morning. $700 each. Located in the Mountain Grove/Cabool area of southern, MO.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
How much is shipping and handling to Northern California :)

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JeffNY said:
#762 is a fine looking heifer, nice frame, decent rump, long neck.

Jeff
SHHHH!! Jeff, don't tell people that! I am secretly hoping that if we get stuck keeping one over the winter it will be #762. :) I think she is certainly turning out to be the best one. Surprisingly, we have had the least interest in her. I think its because people like the looks of the ones who look more Jersey. :shrug:
But truly, thank you for the nice words. :)

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up North said:
Emily, are we to assume these heifers are open? If so, how soon would you estimate they would be eligible for breeding? Are they all siredf by your herd bull? TIA
Yes, these are open heifers. They are only about 4-5 months old, so it will be at least 6-8 months before they can be bred. #772 is a smaller-boned gal, always has been, so she may take a little longer.
They are all heifers we bought as babies this spring to raise on extra goat milk, so they were not sired by our bull. The dairy we bought them from is one I much admire. I worked there for two years and they cull for hardiness, easy-calving and milk production. They run all crossbred cows and they are tough, hard-working little ladies. These heifers will be mostly Jersey blood, with some Holstien or Brown Swiss(or both) mixed in.
If they were ones that had been born and raised here, I would be able to let them go cheaper, but as it is, I have to have a decent price from them to cover the cost of buying them and raising them. Baby heifers aren't cheap. :rolleyes:
If someone wanted all three of them, I could give them a little price break though.
#772 is going to be better as a home milker than a production cow, in the dairy owners opinion. Her dam wasn't a super-producer and was culled to a family milk cow position for that very reason. So #772 will make a good family milk cow for someone who only needs a couple or 3 gallons a day.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
ozark_jewels said:
Lets see......whatever my truck will eat in gas, all travel expenses paid, and some for my time. ;)
If your truck can get 60mpg and you drive fast and sleep in the cab and eat top ramen, I think I can convince my husband...besides, we have beautiful redwoods to come see! :p

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jcran said:
If your truck can get 60mpg and you drive fast and sleep in the cab and eat top ramen, I think I can convince my husband...besides, we have beautiful redwoods to come see! :p
LOL!! Missed this reply. Tempting...but the 60mpg just cinches it. My truck is lucky to get 15mpg. :rolleyes: :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.