3 earthquakes in maine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by paulaswolfpack, Oct 4, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Its been 4 but who's counting? But just little ones...it felt like a semi- driving down our gravel drive too fast :shrug:

Actually 4 in the same place and several over the past few years....one was just a mile away on Maple Ridge a few years ago and we had to install a filter after as it caused well casing to shift....we really need to re-line the well but havent gotten around to it...just change filters more often

When I was a kid we had one that was near 6 and we thought Maine Yankee nuclear plant (since decommisioned) had an accident! I remember power lines sparking! I also was VERY scared!

2. mainer

mainer Well-Known Member

I remember that 1,too.was a little kid.very scary!! did not hear about the recent ones. must not have been close to where I used to live. I'm sure my friends would have told me.

3. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Very cool site, Arabian Knight. Thanks for that link. And I learned something new today - I didn't know they had quakes in Maine! After living nearly 40 years in California, we still sleep with our shoes just under the bed as well as a flashlight just in case ..... (Been through dozens of quakes - maybe more - but never, thankfully at the epicenter. Plenty of friends have been at ground zero in major quakes.)
    BW

5. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

I slept through the one that hit menlo georgia a couple years ago. Shook the house from what the kids said. IT was a 4 here at the house about 50 miles from the epicenter.

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

NEWS That earthquake a few days ago in Maine was DH. He dropped a big cross beam and made the whole house shake for a while. Then we heard about the earthquake. So it was him.

7. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We are shaken now.

heh heh heh

8. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Wow! I didnt even know there were earthquakes in Maine!
    I see that I am no where near earthquakes either...so that is good to know!
    ya'll hang on up there, dont get all shook up!

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Cool site! Seems we had a quake about 9 miles from here on Tuesday morning. Not enough to be felt. Had one I did feel early last month.