3 day old baby goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sleeps723, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

lady in our network of friends, knowing our love of critters, gave us some goats. one of them, a little girl, coughs like she has fluid on her lungs. looking for any recomendations. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sixstrothers

sixstrothers Hallelujah Dairy

Does she cough after taking her bottle? Mine will drink so fast that they will sound a little congested and cough right after eating their bottle.

3. sleeps723

she coughs all the time.

4. sixstrothers

Does she have a temp? Is she eating ok? Was it a hard birth? You might try a little benedryl, 1cc. I have a buck that has allergies. I give him 6cc and he weighs about 70lbs.

5. sleeps723

no temp, runs and plays all the time. eats good. just sounds like gurgling when she huffs n puffs. down in her chest. owner found mother dead and 2 babies still alive.

6. sixstrothers

Sounds like maybe from the birth she may have some in her lungs. Try some benedryl and see if that works. I have taken the bulb syringe and tried to get mucus out of the back of their throat before.

7. sleeps723

thank u much i will try it.

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like the dam had a difficult birth and the baby got fluid in her lungs. I've read on these boards where breeders use Tylan 50 to help with this. I'm not sure of the dose. Maybe Vicki or someone else familiar with the dose can tell you how much to give. I've had rattly babies and it resolved itself without medication.

9. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I agree with Goatkid; I've had rattly babies too who cleared up. I DID keep an anxious eye on them, though. "Parent"noia works for goat kids AND human kids as well! Good luck!