3 bin composter help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jan 22, 2004.

1. I need plans for a 3 bin composter,can anyone outthere help.

2. Sq_Ft_Gardener

Sq_Ft_Gardener Member

3. Sq_Ft_Gardener

Sq_Ft_Gardener Member

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Can you use old tomato cages and add straw/old alfalfa from the goat pens? We don't have trees for leaves.

5. bill in mo

bill in mo Member

Find a business that uses wooden pallets in their shipping & receiving area and has some extras laying around, keep looking until you find a place that will let you have them for free (this is easier than it sounds!). Scrounge up 7 of the same size. I like to use the 40" x 48" size. Stand them up on their sides with the 48" side on the ground Lay them out in a pattern like so, and use some wire or heavy twine to bind them together wherever they touch. This is what it would look like looking down on it from above:

I_I_I_I

and there's your 3-bin compost setup for nothing out of pocket! Some people prefer to line them with chicken wire or something to eliminate things seeping out thru the cracks, but I've not found this to be much of a problem. This design is open on the front, but you can also acquire 3 more pallets of the same size to use as doors on the front of the bins. Only bind them on one end and swing them open when you want in! I've also seen where people have used chicken wire, welded-wire fencing, etc to use as doors. Just sort of let your imagination guide you...