3 a.m prolapse- help, no one to call

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by stonewolf, Feb 18, 2005.

1. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

ewe delivered triplets about 10, after a very long and totally non productive labour. I had to keep them warm so I put them in the warmer and left her in a pen to clean. went back in an hour, she was acting up and wouldnt take babies, they were all fairly small with one extremely small, so I wanted to get them up and running, so about midnight I milked her and set about taking care of the babies. It is -30 here tonight, cruel night at best. After feeding lambs, I checked on her at 2:45 and it looks like she is pushing out a can of worms. very ugly. No vet within ninety miles to call at this time. WHAT CAN I DO?????? I thought about pushing it in and sewing her up till the vet comes tomorrow, but not sure if that would cause more problems. To top it all off I dont even know if this is a prolapse, I have never seen one before, but I do know it is NOT afterbirth and not a good thing.

I will be up all night, in and out, so if anyone has any ideas of what to do from here, greatly appreciate it!! THanks Stonewolf

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Things like this always happen in the middle of the night dont they. Not clear on how much has come out..?
    One of our first time ewes last year had a huge lamb, which was way too big for her, and was dead hanging out of her in the morning. Anyway she was that stretched that part of what supposed to be on the inside was hanging out....about an inch worth. I was advised, not by a vet, to push it back in and put a stitch in it....well I didnt...I gave her time...and it all shrunk back to where it was supposed to be after a few weeks. So I wouldn't do anything at this stage...unless of course there is blood coming from somewhere as well...I know you wont sleep and will be checking her all night....good luck with the little ones. :)

3. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

thanks shazza, so good to not feel so alone out here. She has about 4 inches of what l ooks like a can of worms coming out. I did, right before leaving the barn, push it gently back in, but of course with no suture, I imagine it will be back out again. I appreciate your telling me to let it be, that is the only thing that will allow me to not go crazy this night lol.

I'm just on my way back out but wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Stonewolf

4. Shazza

Well 4 inches...I hope it stayed in there. How are the babies doing? I hope you've got a goat to milk to feed the babies. When my Eng Leceister ewe had triplets this year I took the smallest one and raised her on my Toggys milk. She has grown so much more than her sisters that I left on the mum. In hindsight I would've taken 2 of them...Poor Wilma took ages to get over having triplets...she really stressed for weeks, and I had only just purchased her and she hadn't been well fed where she came from so she wasnt in good nic. I love raising lambs...Sicca is a pain now though..pinches all the duck food. :)

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Geez I must have just missed you but I think you're a time zone aheads of me too! She was probably just pushing a little longer than she should have, it's not a major worry unless she got an infection or keeps doing it. I'd use PenG for a week just in case. if her uterus is dislodged of out of place somehow she will keep pushing, so keep a close eye on her now, because once her cervix is closed its a big job to correct things! Prolapses tend to repeat next year but are a sign of being thin poor muscle tone from lack of exorsize, being overly fat poor muscle tone, , a too short tail dock, or even genetic if everything else was perfect. Having an exception lamb load like tirplets etc, is also a reason for prolapses but somewhat tied to the main reasons.

6. Lana

Lana Active Member

We had our 1st prolapsed this year in 6 years of lambing..this was a full on WHOLE uterus out type and it was 530am on a work day. Luckily My husband is a "we can do it!" kind a guy and we read the chapter in the book as we worked! We got it back in and Marty made a homemade loop to hold it in with a homemade harness to hold it. We gave anti biotic in a bolus directly into the uterus and 19 days later she is fine and so is the lamb. She dead loose the one lamb the huge one that cause the prolapsed.did I mention this was our first lambs this year!

The only thing we would do different is wash the uterus in a 50% sugar solution to help shrink it. The ewe of course will be culled. Lana

7. Kim Martin

Kim Martin Well-Known Member

Hi! I hope she is doing better now! I had one ewe that had reg. twin births 2 or three times, and the last preg. the babes were just at weaning stage, took mom and put her in diff. paddock (Out of sight) and had been there couple of weeks! And one morning acted diff. (I though it was because I smelled like gasoline that morn) and wouldnt come eat, just stood off and stared at me. So went back an hour or so later (Pasture was 3 miles from house) and she was dead. Doc. thought something had weakened at the birthing? But didnt think I could have helped or changed the turn out. (I always worried about that) but have had several with rectal prolapse (F.F.A. teacher docked tails to short) and once cleaned up, and pen-c shot, within a couple of days back to fairly normal! As long as no veins get busted should get better. I'll keep her & babies (and you!) in my prayers. Kim in OK

8. Shazza

Hello...sorry but need an update on the ewe and her lambs...hope they are all well. Bye

9. stonewolf

stonewolf Member

Hey Shazza! they are doing awesome, the ewe is doing better. I will post more when things quiet down, 33 babies in the last 48 hrs and it was -34 this a.m!! So extremely busy! infact just in for a moment to check on the B shot. The forum has rejected a few of my replies to you, think it might be full.

I will def give you a full update later when I have some time. It has been an amazing time.

THanks to all that gave advise, much needed and appreciated!!
    In spirit Stonewolf