Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am frequently finding a need for a weather/rot resistant "stake" for various uses. Ideally, I would love to find a reliable yet economical source of 8-10 ft stock that I could cut to size when I needed it.

Anyone know of a good source or an alternative? I have tried tobacco sticks, hardwood tree limbs , etc...but they do not hold up well for some applications...I.e. Staking a barefoot tree while its root system develops.

I can find them at the big box outlets but they are really pricey.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
a few years ago I thought I found the cat's meow for stakes. 1/2" fiberglass. I used them for awhile and then I found out that they were hollow. (when one bent too far and broke off)

since then I went to a steel yard not far from my home. I bought cut-offs of 1/2" re-bar.
they were all about 6 ft long. I have been using them for many years.

poke 3 in a triangle around a tomato plant, tie the tops together and you have a very sturdy tomato support. even a single one driven along side of a tomato will hold it straight if you wrap string around it.
I staked a weak young plum tree for a couple of years with just one rod.

use your imagination..

the re-bars come in ten foot lengths. and they are not expensive if you consider that they will probably last over 20 years..

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
I have old fence posts that we used in the pasture 65 years ago---they have the feet welded to the bottom so you can push them into the ground---but just one thing about rebar or metal stakes- I paint them stoplight orange !!--in case one falls into the weeds or grass where it might tear up a lawnmower.....

geo

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have old fence posts that we used in the pasture 65 years ago---they have the feet welded to the bottom so you can push them into the ground---but just one thing about rebar or metal stakes- I paint them stoplight orange !!--in case one falls into the weeds or grass where it might tear up a lawnmower.....

geo

good idea.
last year I planted grass over my long since abandoned garden spot. this year when I was mowing the grass, I hit one of those re-bars sticking up out of the ground. didn't wreck anything. took the tractor and loader down there and pullet the bar out. and along with it came a second one.
count them as you use them and count them when you pick them up at the end of planting season..
.......jiminwisc......

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
I learned another lesson using fiberglass rods when I first bought a cheaper electric fencing system from TSC that had them --by the time I got them to the car trunk my hands were burning--and did so any time I tried to use them.....Reason: they splintered off and I was getting the fibers in my hands--just like stinging nettles. So, you need to look out for that.....(Same thing happened when I installed a fiberglass shower in the bathroom.....)

geo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts