3/$1000 worth it?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Smelt, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Hi All,

I know a very nice fellow who is offering me 3 healthy highland heifers (say that 3 times fast :)) (15yo, 10yo, 5yo) for $1000. He wants to keep them together, no hamburger. They have been land clearers and pets for him. They are very gentle...big dogs. He had bred them two years ago and they had fine calves.

I would use them for basically the same thing, clearing some fields and breeding.

Shipping would be $250 as well.

Do you think $1250 is a reasonable price?

Thanks!

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

A year or so back a fellow here in Minnesota offered me 10 breeding age heifers, all registered for $5000 each with the papers, or for $500 each without papers. Given the ages you mentioned it doesn't sound like a bad deal if you want them.

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If that's what you want, the price is probably reasonable but I'm a bit concerned that he hasn't bred them regularly. In the case of the older cow, you might find she has problems breeding if she's been left open.

4. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I would find out if they are breedable and counter with a grand and no delivery fee.

5. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Hate to burst your bubble but NO! You would never get your money out of them. 10 yrs is pretty old to expect good breeding results. Highlands dont bring anything commercially here. Heck, I could sell you 3-3yr olds for less than that.

If you are just wanting pets, I see lots if people here will pay any amount. In that case, go for it.

6. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

We have 2 Highlands, we paid $600 for our heifer and $550 for our bull. They go for more than that around here though we got a good deal because we were looking for small ones. :) They average more like a thousand for heifers here. I would check prices in your area.
    One other thing to keep in mind these are already pets so you don't have to worry about getting them gentle yourself. That goes a long way in my book! Also from what I understand they have a longer lifespan and calve at a later age than most other breeds.
    Patt

7. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, though I might try to get the delivery fee lowered. The 15yo might have a little trouble getting bred, but if she does she should be productive for another 3 to 5 years. The others should be OK. Unregistered heifers and cows sell here for $600+, registered $1100 and up.

8. Kirby Greene, MscD

Kirby Greene, MscD the Old Buck

First off, at 5, 10 and 15 years old these critters are cows! A heifer is a young bovine that has not had her second calf yet - At a weight of 1200 lbs or so each, these cows are only 35 cents or less a pound; about half the market price listed in the newspapers. After you pay the 'very nice fellow' the $1000, they are yours, and you can feel perfectly free to do whatever your farm management instincts tell you is the best way to use them on your farm.

If you just want them for brush control and 'atmosphere' there is no point in buying registered stock; but if you intend to eventually sell breeding stock, you'd be well advised to get the best foundation stock that you can find. It doesn't cost a dime more to feed good livestock and the price that you will be able to get for GOOD registered stock will reward you well...

The cost to transfer a registered cow, heifer or bull will vary, but usually runs in the neighborhood of 15 - 50 bucks, and most breed associations require the SELLER of the registered stock to pay the transfer fee - it will no doubt add to the cost of the animal, but the price disparity between some of these mentioned is this thread suggest to me that someone is trying to take advantage of a novice cattle buyer.

the Old Buck