3/1 - National Pig Day

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Ken Scharabok, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

You did take your porkers breakfast in bed this morning didn't you. What, no roses or chocolate! Yes, indeed, March 1st is National Pig Day.

TN has the honor of the world's largest pig - Big Bill out of West Tennessee. Born in March 1930 he grew to 2,552 pound, was nine feet long and 4 1/2-5' tall when he died a prenature death at age three. Otherwise he might have grown larger still.

Seems the owner finally gave in show Big Bill at the Chicago World's Fair. He hired two local good ole' boys to haul him up there. Shortly after they loaded up Bill they decided to stop for 'refreshments' at a bar and got to betting exactly how much Old Bill weighed. They took him to a local scales and while loading or unloading he fell of the scaffold and broke a leg. Fever set in and Old Bill was put down with Chloroform.

Old Bill's hide was preserved and stuffed and made the fair rounds for some time as a freak side show. However, it is unknown what ultimately happened to Old Bill. One interesting point is when he was skinned out, it was found his skull was abnormally small, perhaps from being the runt of his litter. (All of his other litter mates died when the sow laid on them.)

Source: The Tennessea, 2/28/04.

By the way, in the way of comparison, a typical bull goes around 1,500-1,700 pounds. A 2,000 pound one is considered very large. A bull might not have gone up to 2,552. Anyone have a Guiness Book of World Records handy?

Ken S. in WC TN

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My pigs always get breakfast in bed- never have to work much either. I think the boar would call his job downright pleasurable :) But 9 ft. long? That's my two domestic sows end to end and adding about 1552 pounds to their combined weight. I guess there are no photos available? What a sight that would be.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Well...

I have two pigs that are spoiled rotten. I raised them on bottles and now they live in the feed shed. They follow me around all day while I do chores. They run to me when I call them. I haven't taught them any tricks yet, but I'm thinking about it.

I buy them donuts at the gas station in the morning. Maybe today I'll give them a danish instead :)

Yes, this is a working farm, but those two pigs will never, ever get eaten. Their names are Princess and Bruiser. I absolutely love those pigs :) I didn't know today was their special day, but they will get more scratches than usual (which is usually a lot).

Jena

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I understand that entirely. I've got a few of those myself. Their names are Itchy and Scratchy- the two razorbacks that started it all for me. Of course Scratchy, the boar, is a more of a dictator now- far from the pathetic little two-week orphan I bought for $5 a year ago. He calls the shots and I have to go along with his choices. So far he has loved every gilt and sow equally so I can't say I disagree with his choices at all. :)