3 1/2 month kid throwing up

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs_stuart, May 16, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I have a kid that is throwing up...there seems to be no bloat or any thing like that, she just throws up. this started this morning. she is in the same place that she has always been in and there have been no change in feed. She has always been healthy...anyone heard of anything like this or has advice that could help. Thanks.

Belinda

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never had experience with a goat vomiting. Usually there are intestinal problems resulting in bloat or diarrhea, etc. Have you checked her temp.? Are her mucus membranes (in her mouth) pink not gray? I have to tell you that my first thoughts were some form of ingestion..maybe plastic or a piece of binder twine. (You know how those goats will EAT ANYTHING!). She might be trying to get rid of it -- therefore the vomiting. I cringe when I see plastic bags or cellophane from candy or cigarette packs blowing in my yard or the pasture. Has anyone new been in the area of your goat and maybe fed it something? Just a couple thoughts. Maybe someone else will pop in with a possible answer. Inform us of her condition as it progresses. The best to you and your little doeling.

Nappy

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi Nappy, I was sure worried this a.m. but i gave her some pepto and then some gatorade to keep her hydrated and she seems to be doing a bit better. I have searched high and low for something that she might have eaten...a poison plant or bag or anything but still havent found it. I really didn't think that she would eat anything bad, because she is my picky goat...only wants the good stuff and wont eat much else. (i have to other goat that will eat anything, and i do mean anything) I talked with my mfa person and she recommend coming in and getting some picture of poison plants in our area, which i am going to do first thing in the morn. I am praying that this little goat is fine, she is our first kid born on our place and our first bottle baby. (she lived in the house with us for the first 2 months and i even took her to church the first weekend she was with us ) I will let you know if anything changes and thanks so much for responding.

Belinda