2nd Jobs

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Iowa, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Iowa

Iowa Member

Just wondering how many of you here hold second jobs? My main job is a factory one, but tonight I start at our local farm supply store, evenings and everyother weekend. I'm tired of feeling like I'm broke. Any thoughts?

2. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Take a hard look at your spending and see if you can save some money. Are you feeling broke because you can't buy some things you want? If so, look hard at them and see if your wants are running away with your needs. I get the wants all the time, but seem to be able to put them aside.
    Good luck.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My wife has worked up to three Jobs at a time.Now she is working 60-100 hours a week.

With places not wanting to pay a living wage anymore a person has to work more than one Job.

big rockpile

4. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm working 2 jobs, and I'm always tired. Once my house in Michigan sells, I'll tell my library board to look for my replacement. I like both jobs, just don't have the energy for both.

5. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I have a 9-5 job and a freelance job. I am STILL broke to the point where I can't buy xmas gifts this year. :shrug:

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I have almost always worked 2 jobs ... can't really do it anymore, as my current work hours are so screwy, also I usually put it 50+ hours a week anyway! I occasionally work as a relief milker for the farmer I used to work for, and sell books on Half.com as a sideline. I have found I can almost always earn more by making (or growing) and selling something than I can working for someone else, especially in retail, where the pay usually sucks!

I did work for Tractor Supply for awhile as their employee discount helped make it worthwhile, although eventually I had to give it up as the manager was categorically unable to understand that he HAD to schedule around my full-time job. GRRR!

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I will occasionally pick up part time work, but need to schedule that around my practice. Doesn't always work, but it was nice over the summer when I worked at the flower farm. Had fun, kept busy, lost weight, made money. :)

I thought about getting a part time gig for over the holidays, but found that I could save money in other areas. I've just been feeling too beat up and tired to have the energy to do more. :(

Hopefully, I'll perk up come Spring. :)

Pony!

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I have worked two jobs in the past when I was single and just wanted to keep busy because I was so unhappy with my life. Once I met dh of course my priorities changed dramatically. LOL. Second jobs are good as long as you get plenty of sleep and don't let yourself get run down.

donsgal

9. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

I used to work 2 jobs. One for the state then another one as a security guard. The one for the state was on week days then on wekinds I was a security guard. I did this for about 8 years. Then I had a heart atack and was through with both of them. :grump:

10. fastbackpony

fastbackpony Well-Known Member

I do not work two jobs, but i read in the book "debt proof your marriage" that increased earning isn't always the answer. Its refreshing to see that you want to pay your bills and work hard to do that - that I can admire ! In addition to that, see where the money goes, most people have money "leaks", extra money going out, with no real benefit. If you can stop a few of those, your in buisness ! ! :)

good luck - and Merry Christmas

11. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

I am working two full time jobs currently to make it on my own with my kids. Weekend block at my main job and Mon-Fri at my second one.

12. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I had a second job lined up but couldn't take it because my hours changed. Now I work from 6am until between 2:30 and 5pm. That screwed up my plan to work a 5pm to 2am shift somewhere else because it doesn't leave me any time to sleep. I really want my old start time back.

13. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Burnin' that candle at both ends often has a big price when it comes to health n energy--be careful! If you're working days and nights, when do you rest and when do you spend time with your family? Those things are not expendable, no price can be put on your health/well being and your family time. This all said in the nicest tone, truly.

I agree with the 'decrease outflow' rather than 'increase inflow'. We've had this discussion several times in our marriage, as we're a one-income family. Challenging it is, but worth it!

~~

14. ecbreed

ecbreed Well-Known Member

Yes, I also work 2 jobs. M-F I run an office for a MD. Mon-Sun Early mornings, and evenings and Weekends I work doing assembly.