2b or Not to be

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Nov 20, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I would like to see anyone that would like to post who iis growing gardens or plants and live in zones closest to 2b.

Especially interested in which catalogs you order seeds from, especially in Canada. I have had good results getting seed from Lindenberg's in Manitoba, though a few varieties not available anymore that were a few years ago.
    I have my favorites, but I don't mind receieving any friendly recommendations for garden or flower plantings.

Also, grain seed, or seed to grow mainly poultry feeds. I'm thinking such as sunflower, perhaps a type of millet or amaranth, beets, etc? Any further suggesions welcome.

Oh, I have grown in the past for green manure to improve garden such as buckwheat, oats, annual or perenniel rye (tilled in). What strain of feed corn might do well in this zone. Growing season frost free from early June to mid/late September with long day summers usually mild and normal rainfall usually (sometimes too much in downpours).

thanks,

Rich

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Rich, I can't help you out but you taught me something; I assumed 2b meant July 4th was your only frost free date. I'm in a warm zone 7 (almost 8) but can have frost up until the end of May and get bit 9/20. Flowers? I'd give anything to raise those blue poppies and delphiniums. Veggies? I'm still picking arugula I planted in May; it alone survived a couple of hard frosts. You can't kill swiss chard and the yellow finiches love it; maybe chickens would too.

See? Didn't help much...

katy

3. moonwolf

Weather can be odd here too. We had a frost in mid August last year. Some years it's not frost free until mid June. Usually after the full moon in June is customary to plant warmer weather plants here. The long growing days helps things 'catch up', and then the weeds grow faster than the garden plants. :eek:
    Poppies and delphiniums are beautiful perrenials here, though I haven't tried growing the blue poppies yet. Lupins, various Irisis are sure nice too.

Yes, chickens relish swiss chard. The one that is called 'everlasting' is one to plant closer together and harvest mature stalks continually as it keeps growing. Though here, I can assure you that a good icy day by November will kill it off. Cabbage, kale, and brussel sprouts are about the latest frost tolerant veggies I've played around with here and of course, things like carrots or parsnips can keep in ground till after frosts up until about end of October.

4. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

5. moonwolf

Thanks for the link, though I'm not anywhere near 'high altitude' for climate. We get generally closer to zone 3 or 4 in many years, but for the cartogrophers plotting out the gardening zones, we fitted into 2b, so we can grow excellent cool weather crops as well as some more termperate tolerant ones as I know from past growing experiences. For example, I know of 400 lb. pumpkins and long season tomatoes and corn which grow here with mulching and such protective techniques. Morgan and Thopmpson, T & T in Winnipeg, and Lindengerg in Brandon, Manitoba have been sources I've relied on. Johnny's Select seeds has some interesting varieties.

So, anyone in similar situation of the zone you live, perhaps upper Minnesota into the western area of Northwestern Ontario, be interesting to hear what you've tried to grow successfully or unsuccessfully.

I'm kind of interested lately in what short season feed corn, feed sunflower, amaranth, and animal feed root crops (sugar beets?) that experienced ones have tried and work well for keeping animal feed costs in control for mid northern climate.

Pasture growth here is also variable with the clovers including red clover, birdsfoot trefoil, and I'm not sure which grasses.