28 days PG-not pulling fur

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cmharris6002, Jul 9, 2006.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am pretty new to rabbits. We have a 5 mo. old Holland Lop 28 days pregnant and she has not pulled any fur. Her nest just has hay. I pulled fur around four of her teats this morning but I didn't put it in her nest box. It is very warm here so I didn't know if I should.

Should I continue to pull fur for her? Should I put it in the nest?

Thanks,
    Christy

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Some does will not pull fur until AFTER they have kindled.
    I also use hay for the nesting material. I wouldn't pull fur unless
    she has kindled and didn't pull any.

I only raise NZ and CALS and they tend to kindle on day 31 to day 32.
    With smaller litters, they might go to day 33 or 34 before kindling.

Good luck with the new litter.

Linda Welch
    Texas Rabbit Connection

3. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

My does only pull fur a couple hours before they kindle. They like to keep me on my toes. That reminds me; I had a doe pulling fur about an hour ago. I think I should go check on her....

4. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I put a nest box in on day 28 but seldom do any of them kindle before day 30 or 31 and that's with my mini lops, mini rex and my new zealands.

5. rickd203

:dance:

Yup, 5 more little kits. That's about 80 births so far this year. I also have 2 good NZW litters. I'm planning to keep most of them for breeding stock.

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, I'll see how she does before I start to worry too much.

It seems like everything I have read about Hollands says they don't kindle well so I guess I'm just expecting problems :rolleyes:

I'll let you know how she does.

Thanks!
    Christy

7. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Hi Christy,
    We have raised Holland for several year. Ours usually go 30-31 days and pull the fur right before they kindle. If this is her first litter you will want to keep an eye on her. To make sure she uses the nestbox. As soon as you know she has kindled check the nestbox and make sure all the kits are alive in warm. We have had very good results with our hollands as far as giving birth without complications.

8. rickd203

:dance:
    My rabbits had two more litters. 19 more kits and I think at two more rabbits will kindle soon. Things are really "hopping" :rolleyes: around here!!!

Rick

9. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

I was surprised yesterday (13th) to find 4 fat baby rabbits in a nest box of a rabbit that was suppose to have babies on the 10th. I almost put her back with the buck on the 12th, but decided it was to hot. So don't give up on yours to soon. Good luck!
    Dian

10. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Dian ,, :p some does will drive you insane ,,

my doe spotty useually has her kits on the day/evening day 31 or I'll go out in the morning of day 32 and there they'll be :)

most all the other does I've had ,, WNZ , Cals , 1 Harliquin , have had their kits 'sometime' on day 32 or I'll find morning of day 33 ,,

but I once had a BNZ doe that drove me nuts every time I bred her :baby04: ,, I can't palipate (sp?) and she would be big as heck and would wait every time ,, till late day 33 or day 34 ,, once she went to morning of day 35 :grump:

I'd be wearing a path out to the building checking and she'd just sit there calmly looking at me like "as long as you watch me I'm NOT goina do it" :p

I remember reading somewhere to wait till day 36 before trying a rebreeding but don't remember where I read it at ,, but I've also read where when people KNEW a doe was pregnant they would try a rebreed on day 32/33 to start labor ? I think I said that right ..

11. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:) .. Today is day 32 :nerd: Any happy news yet ??