-25 out there

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by painterswife, Dec 7, 2005.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Cold!!! Here in Wyoming.

Fed the horses early and extra. Hope the car starts. Dos will stay inside today.

Jill

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Chilly here too, its about 63 out there, shudder! Just glad I live in Florida!!

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Ha, Mitch--my Mom used to do that to me. I'd say, "Good grief it's cold here! It's 15 below!" and she'd say, "Oh, I know--it's only 40 here! (in Texas)"

We've got the last laugh, though. She's living with us now and when it's 45 degrees out, she's complaining how cold it is, and we're saying "Nah, it's pretty nice out, actually."

4. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Isn't it amazing how our perspective of temps can change. During the winter if we have a 35F day, we think it's almost balmy but in the summer, 50 is cold.

Our min/max thermometer said 12F this morning. Goats got extra hay and I had to bring water buckets into the house to thaw.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Was -27 in butte this morning but fortunately it was only -5 up here on the mountain. I used to whine about the cold when it was -20 untill I began snowmobiling down to work in these temps each day. Now I only whine if it is -20 and really windy LOL. Then I stay at home or in a motel depending on which end of the road I find myself on when the weather gets bad! I think it will be a very cold winter for the western states and miswest as well!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. SISTERPINE, Your posts are all on my must read list. There is one thing certain, You take a licking and keep on ticking. Does your husband realize how tough you are?

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It's 7 degrees, with the first major snowstorm of the year heading our way. The kids will probably be home tomorrow.

I am off to buy milk, chicken food, and other things that I don't want to be stuck without.

9. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Please don't take this personally Terri, but we chuckle at the people that strip the stores of milk when there is a storm predicted. We just go out to the goat barn :p

We used to joke that the grocery stores and the weatherman are in cahoots together. If the grocer has extra milk, bread, & eggs, he calls up the weatherman and asks him to create a possible storm so people buy, buy, buy, and the weatherman gets a little 'kick back' from the grocer.

10. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

It's -9 here this morning in eastern CO. The farmer went to check all the baby calves and they were running and jumping around their little pasture in between nursing on their mamas.....tough little guys. We had put out a windbreak of big bales and straw against the 35mph winds and snow yesterday. All the tank heaters for all the waterers were fine last night and we are turning out a semi load of mama cows on cornstalk pasture today, hopefully they will stay in the fences. They come from even colder Wyoming so they are pretty happy here. I don't mind the cold....but I "am" in the house. :cowboy:

11. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

It is cold here this morning, with the wind blowing and whipping around, and snow or ice expected within a few hours, it is about 15 degrees, but colder with the wind. Just finished unloading all the wood (oak) from the trailer to the porch, since DH waits till the last minute, says we didn't need it last week when the temp was in the 50"s :rolleyes: and I tried to get him to go buy it and stack it then, no, we waited till today when it is freezing cold. Hauled buckets of water out to the goats and chickens, the geese have their water area open, but ice covered, and the doves needed water as well. Now getting ready to go back to work for a few (5)hours, and hope the ice doesn't come until I make it back home. I really don't mind, I love to feel the warmth of my goats, and they nuzzle up close, such beautiful creatures. Old Cocoa sticks her nose right up in my face and has to smell me, she is a mess.Hombre the Long Horn was in the shed, he refused to eat his biscuit out of DH's hand because he had on gloves, had to take them off and then he ate it. Talk about spoiled critters.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

We hit 26 last night.Got my gas bill,180 dollars.That didnt include 8 days of the current freezing weather,OUCH!

BooBoo

13. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Arn't those of us with a wood heater. Happy to here of the large gas bills. I love the new stove. :)

P.S. Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow........

14. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

How do you deal will keeping pipes from freezing?? I live in Texas and usually drip my faucets when the temp drops below 32. I am not sure if that is necessary but figure that it is easier than the possibility of broken pipes. I sometimes think it would be nice not to live in such a hot climate but wonder if the cold is just as bad in many ways.

15. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

It's warm and balmy here with temps a couple of degrees above zero. We haven't had an above zero day since halloween. It's amazing how 0F feels darn warm after last weeks highs around -30F.

Painterswife, do you guys down there have plug ins for your vehicles?

16. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Gosh, I feel like a namby-pamby. It was only 0 here this morning, and I was thinking about getting a plug-in for the old Cherokee. She did turn over, but I think the thermostat might be bent (we just replaced it), because it did not get up to 195. Don't want to replace it in the cold, though.

The prediction for our area is that, since we have January temps now, it will likely be a very cold winter.

Goody. NOT!

Pony! <cranky with a sinus infection and still at the office>

17. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My goats have on their winter coats(all natural)....and I brought them hot water with OJ added....this is typical weather for Maine but we had a mild wet Fall so a dry day is nice even if it is cold! My black goats will sun themselves if its not too windy....

My house never gets below 60 degrees....usually around 85F....love wood heat!! and actually its perfect weather for chopping wood....my kids are chopping up an ash tree for the wood cookstove....ages 10 and 11....one has an axe and one has a splitting maul....hope they don't get to arguing :eek:

18. terry stewart

terry stewart Well-Known Member

Iam sorry that cold. here in EAST TN it was 50 today

19. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Just spoke to DH who is working down in town. Said it is almost up to zero and he sounded pretty excited LOL. Also said his truck would not start this morning so he took my trailblazer and sure hoped I had not planned to go anywhere today--not this gal, I'm staying in by the wood stove and pouting about the weather LOL

20. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

We can dream....can't we?