$25 free in Breck's bulbs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cc-rider, Aug 11, 2005.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Did anyone else get this? Just got my catalog a couple days ago and it says $25 free....and no minimum order! I think I'll order some!

I see that others posted this same thing in 2002....

2. greenguy

greenguy Member

I took advantage of the $25 free coupon last year with no problems. This year they sent me a coupon for $25 free with purchase of $25.

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Definitely no catch whatsoever. We got bulbs last year and they grew well. This year we ordered more and they sent a postcard saying they would arrive in the fall.

4. cc-rider

I'm going to order something just to see how well it works. I like their guarentee. 100% as long as you garden! Even if it grows and you aren't happy with it, anytime, they will replace it or give you your money back.....and you don't even send the plant/bulb back!

What a guarentee!!!! :goodjob:

5. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

I too received their offer. But...even with the free bulbs they are still too expensive. You do "pay" for the "free" bulbs...Joan

6. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

What do you have to pay for the "free" bulbs?

7. cc-rider

As far as I can tell, as long as my total order is under $25, I don't pay anything.

The shipping is high ($5.95) and since I'm in Ohio I have to pay sales tax, but I think I'm going to order some bulbs that are only $12.99, and by the time you add the shipping and tax, I'll still be under $25..... and therefore "FREE", I'm assuming.

Will let you know how it works!

I would guess that many people will order MORE than that, and then will be paying the inflated prices for the others, plus shipping, but I won't. Although the bulbs sure LOOK nice!

8. jesducky

jesducky Well-Known Member

I ordered some daffodils from Breck's using the 25/free method. They came up this past spring and were healthy and beautiful.

9. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think I will try it too!

10. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I did the free bulbs last year too!!! $25 in totally free...I received them, no problems, they have grown well.

This year, I got the $25 free with $25 purchase. I havent decided if i will do this or not.

Belinda

11. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I actually got TWO catalogs last year for those free bulbs, no strings attached, and I had 60 beautiful giant red tulips and yellow daffodils along my front walk this Spring for nothing more than digging the holes to put them into. :clap:

This Spring I also got such offers from Gardens Alive and Henry Fields. They supplied me with this years crop of carrots, beets, and spinach, for free.

12. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Those ARE pretty! Decisions, decisions!

13. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Gurney's and Henry fields have same offer early in the season and last catalog had same thing; unusual for fall. Usually see offer only in spring/summer with them. I called them once and asked if this pertained to every time you ordered; can't remember the answer. It works though. Problem is I get their e-mails all the time and you are forever on their mailing list but I guess in hindsight that is not really a prob. for me. I always order more than I should form them; I think that's how they all justify their offer. Sooo, next time you order from them and get everything free except shipping you can thank me and my lack of self-control!!

14. cc-rider

I just ordered the China Town tulips. Rather expensive ($12.99 for 7 bulbs!) but they look beautiful in the picture.

I ordered online. The shipping was added in, they subtracted my $25 coupon, and sent me a confirmation email. Didn't even ask for a credit card or anything since the total was under $25!

So far, I'm happy! :happy:

p.s. Thanks, Shawnee, for your lack of self-control!!!! :sing:

15. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Yes! THANKS Shawnee! We salute you and your lack! I haven't ordered mine yet...you may be saluting me soon! :happy: I think that the flowers are ALL gorgeous!

16. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Just ordered mine! Got 50 Pickwick Giant Dutch Crocuses! It was hard to choose but these should be really pretty. :)
    Steph

17. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Every time I think I have it narrowed down I change my mind. I think I am going to order the pink and white daffodils...one of the kinds...and then some stargazer lilies! If I order the smallest amount of both I only have to pay a dollar! Works for me! Then again...I may order the Rembrandt tulips and stargazer lilies! UGH! Me trying to decide among all of those gorgeous flowers is torment! Good torment...but torment all the same! :baby04:

18. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

I've been changing my mind for the past four days before finally settling on the crocuses. Just to make your decision even more difficult make sure you check out the website- there's a lot there that's not in the catalog. :D
    Steph

19. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Oh goodness! I am glad that I checked on here AFTER I made up my mind! LOL! ;) I decided on the Rembrandt Tulips and the Stargazer lilies. I got both and only had to pay 93 cents! What a great deal! I don't know what I would have done if I had any more choices! I am anxious to get them!

20. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

I ordered bulbs from Brecks with the $25 free offer last year. I have ordered from them before and have had no problems, but not one bulb came up from this shipment. I called and they are re-shipping them for this season, no questions asked, and a very pleasant attitude. Since they all didn't come up I figure that they must have gotten cooked or frozen sometime in shipping.

Either way they are replacing them. I am glad because it took me A LONG time to decide what to get (firecracker flowers for the hummers, Tiger Iris, Grecian windflowers and some Mountain Bells to plant along the edges and ward off the deer).