22 LR<vs>17<vs>22 Mag

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jan 4, 2006.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................I have been needing a small caliber rifle for varmits , etc. I was thinking in terms of the 22 but got to looking at the 17Rimfire , semiauto at around $300 or . Never fired one but the sales guy said muzzle velocity was around 2700 fps and he wasn't sure on the 22mag . The 22mag is more expensive at $360 and this comes only in leveraction . I'm favoring the 17 semiauto which loads in the small tube under the barrel . The 17 would seem to be the ultimate varmit rifle and the ammo is like 8 bucks for 50 rounds which isn't too bad . Comments , suggestions to help me make decision. thanks for your help . fordy... :)

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

if you want a .22 get a .22, the others you listed are merely specialty rounds.

.22lr is king for a reason. if you want big and fat you can shoot SSS, or if you want some zingers you can go for velocitors.

if you cant find a loading in .22 that suits your purpose, either you arent trying hard enough or you are trying to take too large of game from too far a distance.

(but even then you can take larger game with .22 if it stands still enough for you to go for the head)

in closing, if you cant do it with .22 step up to .308, if you cant do it with 308, run.

3. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you "need" 2700 fps. A .22 will do anything a .17 will do within reasonable shooting distance for live targets. The .17 is for people who own other guns and are looking to fill a nitch in their arsenal. All ammo is a compromise. The reason .22 is so popular is its the best compromise for a light gun. .22 mag fills a gap between .22 and larger "deer" rifles.

Now if your looking to shoot prarie dogs from a bench, then .17 is great!

Think of it this way. If the 17 or 22mag were the best all round small caliber, then .22 wouldnt have become and stayed the most popular gun.

(wow paranoid, you beat me too the punch)

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

If you are good enough to put a single pellet whee you want it then a 22 is fine. Its kinda a long range weapon so you dont want to miss. For most things a 410 is fine (though there WAS that one time when DH was screaming SHOOT IT, and I was like "I'm in the cold in the dark in a caftan with nothing but a 410.....and that is a coyote........I want a 30-30") Dont even waste your time or money on a snake charmer (a 410 with no sights). I have a 22 and a 410 in my gun case and need to go pick up a 30-30. Been putting it off cause most problems here are snakes, skunks, coons, and such. I think it really depends on what youve got around your place. No way Id face a bobcat with a 410 (call me a wus).

5. Paranoid

i aint gonna call you a wuss, but i am gonna suggest you get rid of the 410 and replace it with a 12g and that should solve your woes for quite some time due to owning 2 extremely versatile gun, from the weakest to the strongest, both jack of all trades guns.

6. poppy

poppy Guest

I'm looking to by a 17 cal. It is an extremely hot round at a good distance. It is really too hot for close in shooting if you are squirrel hunting, but for varmints at 150-200yds, they are amazingly accurate. I have a friend who has a marlin and another with a Henry. Both are great, but I don't know about all the brands.

7. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I love my 410 for small stuff (I'll NEVER forget the look on the clerk's face when I asked him which shot made the biggest hole). It's a single shot and has NO kick. I'm sure not all 12 guages are the same, but the one I have easy access too like to broke my shoulder (and the 30-30 threw me back several feet). I have to admit I was like 12 at the time (was a dead shot with my 22 at 7 ....like I said, I'm a country girl), but still....thats a memory hard to get past. I WISH I could remember the kind of rifle dad has that had all the brass on it. It was quite expensive and made a nice sized hole, almost NO kick. Just a very nice gun to shoot. Course DS would have a COW if Mom lent me any of Dad's 70+ guns (like they are doing any good locked in a closet).

Its just a personal thing.....that 12 gauge just knocked me down.

8. Paranoid

yeah it can kick, but the good news is you can load it down to a weak anemic load similar to the 410, while still maintaining the ability to carry full power loads for situations that warrent it, such as dangerous predators 2 and 4 legged.

here are some weak 12g shells, http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_12_Gauge.html

9. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

I own all 3 calliber guns listed, all of them marlin. If your looking for a small simple varmit gun, the .22 is your best bet. The .17 HMR is nice, very accurate at distance, but I dislike it just for that reason. Same with my .22 mag. The .22 wont go as far, wont make as much noise, and is the cheapest by far for ammo. That all being said, My personal favorite out of those thre is my .22 mag, but that's because of the gun being sentimentally attached to me.

10. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

UNLESS you are a serious gun nut who can peg a gnat at 200yds DO NOT GET the 17. for reference 17 is the same caliber as a BB gun. alight wind or blade of grass can deflect the bullet just enough for a bad slow killing shot. if you don't mind the cost on ammo get a 22 mag. if you get a bolt or single shot you can shoot a limited amount of 22LR out of it (too much will erode the chambe creating a safety hazzard) and it is better for killing deer & coyote.
    the 410 shotgun is like the 17. it is best for extremely experienced shooters under specific circumstances. the better choice for lighter recoil & effective power is the 20 ga w/ significant improvement in performance as you go up. the 16 is better & the 12 is best for power & versatility.

11. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

if you are looking for a varmit rifle why not consider the 22-250 or .222 they will have simular velocities and recoil and are h-ll on varmits.

12. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

OK to answer the question. 22LR

For larger prey 22 Hornet.

Shot the .17 didn't like it. $8 box for 50 or $8.99 for 500 rounds 22LR?

Kenneth

13. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Ive always been a huge fan of an accurate .22 LR. Used rifles are cheap, the ammunition is cheap, they ar just powerfull enough to butcher with, and a good marksman can feed his/her family with one.

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting so did some research,seems these minishells have some issues according to the manufacturer.

http://www.aguilaammo.com/minishells_shotgun_mods.htm

BooBoo

15. Paranoid

i have a 590a1 and never knew there was a problem hehe. guess if you got another gun you will have probs with that.

590's are good though, so consider going this route if you wanna shoot the aguilas

16. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

This one is easy - 22LR.

Ammo's cheap, guns are resonable. A good Marlin bolt will shoot a 1" group at a hundred yards, if you sort your ammo and use a brand the gun likes.

Try buying .17 caliber ammo at Joe's One-Stop...

If you need more "reach" buy a .223. Ammo is no more expensive than the .17, and you can actually kill things stone dead at 300 yards...

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Thanks to all youse guys for your knowledgeable input . The rifle I was looking at was a Taurus . It is a light weight , semiauto like I use to go rabbit hunting with with when I was a Kid . It comes in either the 22LR or the .17Rimfire . I know 22ammo is relatively cheap but I'd like to have just a little more hitting capability . I'm going to think about all the opinions posted here and wait a while before I make up my mind . Again , I appreciate everyone(s) input and hope more will continue to voice their idea's as well . fordy... :happy:

18. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

fordy and others,

Check out a military surplus SKS for your varmint weapon.

The guns can be had in near new condition for less than $200. I bought a Yugo 59/66 at a Dunham's (midwest sporting goods chain) for $99.99 plus tax last year. There are a ton of after market accessories to make it "less military" if you want to go that route.

The 7.62x39 round can be had for cheap (1000 round for $90-100, or $3-4 per box of 20 FMJ or SP). The ballistics are similar to a 30-30, but the recoil is light because the gas is used in the semi-auto action. The standard magazine holds 10 rounds. The cartridge is more powerful than a .22 and can kill anything up to coyotes and deer.

Just another option to consider.

Share the Love,

Diamondtim

19. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I really wonder if you have ever owned a 410. With number 4 or 6 shot, it will reach out further then any 12 guage with the same shot, same choke, and same length barrel.

With a slug, it will drop deer, bear, boar, cat, or coyote or wolf. MAN,TOO.

midkiffsjoy. keep your 410 and buy a few slugs. Then you can kill anything that comes around, from a squirrel to a bear.

20. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Fordy,here is a very good gun forum,you may want to take a look.These guys are a lot of serious hunters and such.

Ive been reading the site,amazing the knowledge there.

http://shootersforum.com/index.htm?

BooBoo