.22 handguns to consider

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by Ross, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Looking for a .22 handgun to plink away with. Any suggestions or dire warnings? Already warned off Ruger's DA .22 for trigger pull Kinda like a revolver, prefer DA but there is a nice used SA Ruger available but I think a tad over priced Auto is OK the mini Browning 1911 is pretty nice too Any thoughts?

2. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

The best .22 I ever used is a MK II Ruger. Not just mine but all I have fired, all blued. Rumor had it at the time that the stainless wasn't as accurate. I don't recall using one at the moment. The old HR revolvers were a lot of fun, if you can find one, get it. Don't dicker. Single Six is OK. Colt Woodsman, buy it. Nothing else out there ever impressed me much.

ijon1 likes this.

3. Vahomesteaders

Vahomesteaders Well-Known Member

The ruger mk series is great. Browning has one very similar the buck mark series. Both great shooters and very reliable.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I think I would really like the Beretta M9 .22LR. I also like the takedown idea of the new Ruger MkIV. My MkII is tough to field strip for cleaning.

5. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

I manage a small fleet of MKIII some in the 22/45 configuration some int he MKIII hunter

my personal gun is a RUger MKIII 22/45 with the removable grip panels a Picatiny rail and a Vortex Venom 3moa micro dot which is how I have the majority of the ones I manage set up now for the youth pistol silhouettes.
    we shoot this out to 100 meters on rams , and as long as you do your part the ram is hit

the configuration just works

krackin likes this.
  6. krackin

I totally forgot Browning, I'm embarrassed and deservedly so. They were way out of my price range when I was a kid. I don't remember the .22 rifle model number, pretty, yet my 'cheap' Nylon 66 would walk all over it.

7. krackin

Yup, there is a trick to the MK II. Once you learn it, you know it.

Little brother had the first MK II I ever shot. Sumbeech. We met up at a local sand pit where he showed the handgun. I'm thinking mid '70's. While I was admiring it he went out and set up cans, 75 to 100 yards. All this time more shooters are coming in, just what we do.

About the time little brother thought we had maximum observers, he proceeded to take out 4 of those cans at 75 yards, 4 shots. He handed the MK II to me. " Give some front sight, no windage, here is the other clip." Wow. Took them all. I'll bet the gun is even better than that, seeing as I was shooting. I ordered one up the next day.

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

When did Canada legalize hand guns?

:D Al

9. Vahomesteaders

The buck marks run about the same as the ruger now. And boy do they shoot.
    The ruger isn't hard to clean at all once you do it a couple times. They are very reliable. I've shot groundhogs at 50 plus yards with the mkII with 7 inch barrel. Squirrels to.

10. Ross

11. Ross

Never been illegal there is a prohib class but |I have that license too.

12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I don't think I've disassembled either of my MKII's in about 35 years. If they get too dirty I spray them with carb or brake cleaner and blow out anything left with an air hose.

They can also be soaked over night in a container of diesel fuel and blown out with an air hose.

Vahomesteaders likes this.
  13. Vahomesteaders

Definitely. They have never failed me and never realy need to be disasimbled cleaned. I had one that stayed in the tractor. It was covered in crap and mud. Would fire every time I needed it.

14. GunMonkeyIntl

GunMonkeyIntl Well-Known Member

The MK I/II/III is not really that hard to disassemble, it's just a difficult procedure to write out in an instruction manual. I've written several weapon operator and armorer manuals, and know, firsthand, the challenges of writing out complex manual tasks in a way that is clear to all readers.

The problem with the disassembly and reassembly on the I/II/III is that the pistol has to be oriented various ways at various times to get the hammer and hammer strut aligned properly. As I krackin pointed out, once you know the trick, you know it- the problem is just that it's so difficult to explain without the opportunity to demonstrate.

Not doing a disassembled clean on a MK from time to time is really not a good idea. Spray-and-blow will keep them running in most cases, but there are some areas that will collect the flowing debris, but don't readily accept being blown clean, like the mainspring housing and the connector plunger well on the trigger. Neither of those areas tend to pick up much fouling until lube of cleaner causes it to flow into there, and, once it's there, compressed air isn't going to do much to get it out.

15. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

And yet it's worked for 35 years of heavy use.

If you're using so much lube that it flows into the mainspring housing, the problem isn't your cleaning methods. ;)

16. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer a semi auto 22 pistol, and like the Rugers suggested, also a fan of the Walther P-22.
    My go to 22 that I carry around the farm all the time is a Colt Woodsman, but they are kind of pricey and hard to come by.

17. GunMonkeyIntl

GunMonkeyIntl Well-Known Member

Was by no means saying that it couldn't be a workable regimen, or that it's not one that has worked for many, many gun owners over the years.

I was just saying that it wasn't a "good idea" to let a gun that gets heavily used to go 35 years with nothing more than flush-and-squirt maintenance, especially one that is as inherently dirty as an autoloading rimfire.

A periodic detail cleaning and lube is a "good idea" for any gun- especially an autoloading timfire.

JawjaBoy likes this.
  18. JawjaBoy

JawjaBoy Cultured Redneck

I readily admit to being a die hard revolver guy, but I really want one of the new Mk IV Rugers in the worst way! Handled one recently at a gun shop and like pretty much everything about it. REALLY glad to see the loaded chamber indicator gone! Unless a truly great deal on something else comes along, a new Ruger will be the newest addition to my gun safe.

Fishindude likes this.
  19. Ross

Checked out an alpha proj DA .22 revolver. Functions nicely and might be the one I go for. Due to the Liberal govt. Here I decided to get a 9mm Noronco SIG 226 copy before they changed the laws. Thats whacked my budget some so the .22 is on hold until summer. I still appreciate your thoughts on a .22 I just gave myself more time to decide

20. RPJR

RPJR Member Supporter

I love my GP 100 in.22. Real good shooting gun. 10 shots, too! A bit on the pricey side, but well made.

Ross likes this.