Homesteading Forum banner

2021 planning

930 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  random 
#1 ·
Since things got so bad this year with the flooding, I'm thinking of making changes. Still learning here so maybe some of you can help.

My main field was laid out in rows running east-west, as I recall reading somewhere I should do. But I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem, as my land in that spot slopes from north to south. The furrows between hills built up a lot of water, and many parts of the hills washed away. I was thinking of running the rows north-south next year to provide better drainage. Thoughts?

Also, I have a smaller field for "patches" of things like melons, pumpkins, etc. It has the same drainage issue but no rows. Any suggestions what to change there to improve the drainage conditions?

Planning to incorporate some compost too, especially since I don't know what's been lost with all this year's runoff. Haven't done the soil test yet but will respond appropriately to the results when I get them.

#2 ·
East west layout is best for optimal light for the plants but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Just plant the large plants on the north end. My little fenced garden has a north south layout. You would probably do better with raised beds with a permanent ground cover like clover between the beds.

For the field area, again, raised beds or hills with trenches around them would probably work best.

If you don't have some way to stabilize the soil it will wash away no matter what method you use. A permanent ground cover is a good way to keep your soil from washing away.

#3 ·
Swales and berms to redirect the water flow.

#6 · (Edited)
It's a system used in large fields with natural overflow waterways here. Soil and Water Conservation conducted a seminar about it at a natural resources conference I attended years ago. I found a website with some info.
I used to regularly drive past one of their test fields where it worked very well. It takes some land out of production but it keeps the field from washing out and prevents topsoil loss.

Grass was planted in the test fields but you could use perennial flowers, clover, or a seasonal cover which is planted in the fall and be in active growth during the monsoon season. It depends on your circumstances and general use of the field. I have seen fields with old time hedgerows planted in the washed out areas.

Another possibility is the newer catch basin area. It's basically an oversized rain garden. It holds the runoff and lets it gradually soak into the soil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.