Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Expect the unexpected
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRYING AGAIN to repost MAY, hopefully this one will work.
Hopefully a mod will sticky this one, and unstick the other one
that got sticky by mistake.

Well it's garage sale season here.
Went to 2 sales yesterday and a estate sale we wanted to stop
at was too crowded. Maybe today we will check that one out.
Seems prices are up and more people checking them out.
I only got a picture frame yesterday, and that was $ 3.
Just didn't see things we were interested in.

Weather here has been interesting. First was warm and
now cold again. Snow overnight and everything white.
Would like to start the garden but going to hold off a bit.
The garlic is up and doing well

Been to more garage sales.
Finally scored a good deal. So going to be duds and deals.
Just have to keep looking .

·
Expect the unexpected
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:)

I am not a facebook fan but I have learned to deal with it.

Locally there have been some free giveaways. And if you belong to a group
that does mutual aid, then someone posts something coming up.
Yesterday there was one for free products in a brown paper bag full.
Just go to a certain building at noon. They had some left over so was able
to get the SIL to go with me today, so she could get a bag. Was able to get a
bag for the cousin. Dropped it off on way home, and boy was she surprised.
Got a 6 pack of TP, 2 liquid hand soap, 2 cleaning wipes, and 2 alcohol wipes.
Some bags had shampoo in them.
There is a giveaway this Saturday for free pet food. Cat and dog.
Hope to find some kitty litter there to help the SIL with her feral cat project.
Taking them to a spay neuter clinic soon.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a bill to go out in mail today. No stamps :(
So went to PO and instead of buying just 1 package of 10
forever stamps, I bought 2. Won't have to buy any for awhile
now. Our mail carrier does not carry them on the route.
Just old school here with mailing monthly bills/ checks out.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
Most of the grocery stores here sell a limited selection of Forever stamps. It's always cheaper to buy them at the store instead of the post office. The price is the same, but I am a collector and the post office always has prettier stamps. After they inherit my collection my kids will never have to buy stamps.

·
Gadabout
3,075 Posts
I buy stamps by the roll. I always ask for 'forever stamps' so they'll still be good even if the price goes up. I just bought a roll. I wasn't out, but wanted to stock up. I should have enough stamps for at least a year, even if I start writing letters again. I might grab a few boxes of envelopes the next time I go shopping.

·
Registered
631 Posts
We buy forever stamps by the roll too. One roll will last us for awhile. We're old school too and still mail out bills. :)

After 20 years of working at the same place, which had a long commute and an increasing amount of stress, I quit at the beginning of April. We're debt free and already live frugally so financially we'll be okay for several months until I find something else. Just staying home and doing things around here have saved us money. I'm cooking from scratch more as well.

With gas prices going up, I pay close attention to combining my errands in order to save some money.

Now that it's summer time, I look forward to making some sun tea. :)

I add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle in my washing machine to use as a fabric softener since we have such hard water. This really helps with the stiffness because I hang my clothes out on the line to dry.

www.thedollarstretcher.com website has lots of info on saving money

I don't use the drive-thru car washes because of the prices (average $11). I save my quarters and hand wash the car. I make a game of seeing how fast I can wash the car. :) I drive a SUV and last time it only took me $4.00 worth to wash, rinse, and spot free rinse. I was so proud. 😁

For Mother's Day I made my mom a gift. I decorated a Dollar Tree frame and wrote a poem for her. I wrote the poem using calligraphy (the best I could). It came out better than I thought it would. That gift and a nice dinner made her happy. Now I'll be focusing on what gifts I can make for Christmas, using up what materials I have stashed away in the craft room.

When a recipe calls for 1 lb. of hamburger I usually only use half the amount and substitute the other half with beans or veggies. So far the husband hasn't complained. ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
To reduce the stiffness when line drying clothes besides adding 1/2 cup or 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle, you can use less detergent. Some folks even use 1/2 of the recommended amount if the clothes aren't too dirty.

To help with wrinkles, hang pants from the pant cuffs and hang shirts from the bottom (upside down). The weight of the pants/shirts helps with wrinkles and stiffness. 👕👖🌞

·
Expect the unexpected
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are planning on doing canning this year, you may want to be looking now
and buying. I was in a farm store yesterday and they wanted $ 15 for quarts per dozen.
I saw no pints. Today in a grocery store that always has jars and lids and NONE. Asked
the manager and he said can't get them right now. They did have dry pectin.
I don't need jars or lids but I will keep a eye on the prices. Last year canning items
were tough to find. I bought early in the season and added to my stash.
I may sell off some older jars that will need some cleaning but still good jars.
Still thinking on this idea. I probably should wash some and test the waters.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
The thrift stores now charge $1.91 for single quart or wide-mouth pint jars. Jelly jars used to be $0.50 but are now $0.90.

Keep looking for canning supplies. It seems stores are hit and miss around here. Stock is coming in but it sells fast. Some stores will have stuff while others have none, then the supply is out at some stores while others have well-stocked shelves.

I bought some of those new leak proof Ball lids. They work better than lids and rings for things you want to store without canning.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Walmart yesterday trying to buy some cheap juice. The Wamart brand.
So the apple juice, I finally looked up and on the TOP shelf, there was my deal.
I got the last 3 bottles. Almost had to ask for help. And or they hide cheap on
the bottom shelves.

Trying to figure out a price for fresh rhubarb. Thinking a 1 pound package,
Just the stalks, no leaves. Anybody got any tips for selling it ?

·
Expect the unexpected
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got my raised beds in place. I only wanted 12 inches high so I could dump
the wheelbarrow in easier. Made 4 feet by 8 feet each, from rough cut lumber. Cheaper than
what I could find in the store. Got plenty of rabbit poo. Got some mushroom dirt.
And yesterday went to the place where they cut firewood and got some sawdust. Free,
Husband is making a flower bed and used a good amount of the sawdust with the dirt
mixed in. He was pouting because the corn and peas he planted did not grow this spring.
Guess I need to show him how. He likes to say he can't grow pumpkins. I grew some
nice ones last year. I keep telling him, first you got to plant the seeds.
My bantam chickens sure loved digging in the beds yesterday. I got plans for some fencing.

Had a lady ask me how to grow rhubarb. Said hers was way too short. I told her
mine are in direct sun. If we don't have much rain. then water the patch.
And the best secret of mine....use rabbit poo. She was disgusted with that
idea and just walked away. I offered to sell her a bucket full of poo. I think she thought
I was making this all up.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
I bought some fish for my little water garden tub yesterday. They are just supposed to keep the mosquito population down. Funny how you get attached to fish that cost 16 cents each. Anyway, the little tub gets murky from the algea so every few days I draw out about 5 gallons of murky water and replace it with water from the portable air conditioner or the dehumidifier. The murky pond water is used to water potted plants. I don't have to buy fertlizer for the potted plants because the murky water has fertilizer built in. The potted plants grow very well when watered with murky pond water.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
If you call the postoffice they should be able to leave a stamp order envelopes. You put money in they bring stamps next day.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My frugal spring tip is to watch marketplace etc for plants. Many times they are free or very cheap. Sometimes I can swap for what I have extra of. Later, I buy perennial flowers, herbs, fruit and veggies on clearance.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My one mailman carries stamps with him. My regular mail lady does not.
Easiest to go to post office, 3 miles 1 way, easy to get to and park. Then I just
buy extras and won't have to go again for quite awhile.

My SIL wanted like 1 tomato, 1 squash, 1 cuke, etc for her raised bed.
I told her take what she wanted from mine. She just cut that square loose from the
rest of the pack. This way saved her some money.

I will be looking for clearance plants also. It's part of my yearly plan. Especially a few more
flowers for the beds. Veggies I can't wait on. Need to get them in so they will ripen in time.

Got enough rough cut boards, yesterday to do 2 raised beds. These came off the scrap pile.
And one is weathered. And I told him, that won't matter. The beds are where they can't
be seen from the road. And I want them functional. Pretty is nice but not priority.

Hubby got a few boards off the scrap pile also. For his project. About 1/2 what store price is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.