2017 Summer quilt block swap starts now

Discussion in 'Swaps/Work-Alongs/Tutorials' started by Belfrybat, Jun 6, 2017.

1. rjayne

rjayne Well-Known Member

Here is what I have been working on this weekend. It is the middle part of my R x R quilt. If I would have just sewed the rows together like I did last year I would be done by now but I think this will work with the "on the go" theme. ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1499639876.158886.jpg ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1499639900.034164.jpg

2. rjayne

rjayne Well-Known Member

Here are the rows. I still need to sash them.
    The rows on the bottom with have the grass for sashing and the ones on the top with have sky with clouds material for the sashing.
    ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1499640228.919055.jpg

3. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

I like it.

4. MoBookworm1957

He's 6'5" Grey hair, prettiest blue eyes you ever seen, fine looking man. Walking up the hill in uniform after deployment.(sigh)....Standing tall with hands on hips facing the log cabin. Second favorite thing,fishing,kites,horses, converting one of the smaller barns into Sewing/Quilting space.

COSunflower, rjayne and maxine like this.
  5. Meima6

Meima6 Active Member

Kentucky, where the Blugrass meets the Mountains
    I love it!

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  6. Meima6

Meima6 Active Member

Kentucky, where the Blugrass meets the Mountains
    I LOVE the bear row at the bottom! It goes SO well with a row kit I picked up at a quilt shop in Morehead, Ky (Quilter's Candy). Wow!

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  7. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

Rjayne -- lovely quilt. I don't care to applique, so the RbyR is not for me. But I enjoy seeing other people's creations, and yours is superb.

MoBookworm1957 and maxine like this.
  8. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

Checking in!! Thanks Maxine for checking on me. I am excited about this swap. We have gotten a "few" new animals and been crazy busy with appointments. Love looking back through previous posts to see what everyone is working on!!

9. maxine

maxine Well-Known Member Supporter

rainedaze it's wonderful to hear from you.. So very happy you are still wanting to join us for this exciting swap :)

COSunflower likes this.
  10. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

Mobookworm - How old is the older granddaughter? Maybe you can start teaching her to quilt? I started my granddaughter Jessica hand sewing blocks together for a baby quilt when she was 9. She works on it whenever she can find time and has graduated to a machine now that I bought for her birthday last year. :) She had just turned 14. She sent me a picture yesterday, on her day off from work, and she was teaching her 9 year old sister to quilt with her and they were working on the baby quilt some more. It will soon be ready to put together and she is coming to visit early in September so maybe we will do that together if she brings it. I sent for her a beginner's quilting book with step by step pictures of sandwiching a quilt and will send it on to her when it comes. :) Hand sewing quilt blocks together might be something your granddaughter can do when she is bored or feeling out of sorts about the new baby. :) AND something that you can do together while talking out her frustrations. :)

maxine and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  11. MoBookworm1957

She's 11.
    Tried that today without much success. But I'm from Mo_Our state slogan is Show Me.
    This little lady likes to bake. So got out crazy dough recipe for her.
    We're trying it tomorrow. I like this recipe because you can use it for bread,pizza dough,pretzels,bagels pretty much anything except pie crust. Makes up 6 loaves of bread, 4-12 inch pizzas crusts, depending on size.
    Dug out children's cookbook that I taught my sons how to cook with.

COSunflower and maxine like this.
  12. COSunflower

I finally got to town and JoAnn's today! OMGoodness! All of the Fall, Halloween and Christmas fabrics are out!!! Got the fabric for my R/W/B blocks and it is in the machine washing. :) While I was there I thought I would sit and look at patterns to rest my legs and OMGosh!!! The price of patterns!!! Never would I spend $20 to buy a tissue paper pattern!!! By time you bought a pattern, fabric and put your time into something the total cost would be outrageous!!! I make most of my patterns myself or modify old ones that I have or take something apart that I find at the thrift store to use as a pattern. I did that when I made all of my granddaughters aprons one Christmas. I found a cute childs one at Goodwill for $1 and used it as the pattern and just decreased or increased it as I needed for each size. The same pattern today was $19.99 from Simplicity - CRAZY!!!!!

maxine and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  13. MoBookworm1957

Yup!

14. maxine

I agree Kim,, the pattern prices are outrageous!! Thank Goodness I have lots and like you,, redo them to fit what am wanting ... Whew!! it's no wonder today's Mom's don't sew clothes for their children like we used to do,!! I have some McCall and Simplicity patterns I inherited from my mother in law that she had bought in the 40's for 10 cents!!! Wow!! and even some of my old ones were only $1.99.. I learned to sew on a treadle machine, while I was in the 4-H.. I sewed all my school clothes,, ordered my fabric from Montgomery Wards, Sears, and Penneys because we lived so far out of town,,that's how old I am!! maybe I'll go take a nap.. sigh

15. COSunflower

LOL! I didn't learn on a treadle but used my grandma's 1950s Singer to sew MY clothes also! My grandma taught me the basics and then I learned clothing making in junior high school and tailoring in high school. Not only made my clothes but made my coats and jackets too! We got most of our fabric from Penny's or a discount place called The Cosmopolitan. We made our own drapes and bedspreads, pillows etc. When I married and had my boys our town was SOOOO small that there were no stores other than a Sears and Wards catalog store. My grandma would send me fabric and I would go to the thrift store or yard sales and buy bigger clothes and cut them down to make clothes for my little boys. One big "grandma nightgown" had enough flannel in it to make both boys nice flannel pjs when they were babies! Oh how times have changed!!!

MoBookworm1957 and maxine like this.
  16. maxine

Ah yes the Good Ole Days!! Kim thank you for the lovely note.. greatly appreciated.. :)

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  17. MoBookworm1957

I take a piece of this pattern, piece of that one till I come up with one I like.
    Sewed in school only cause it was mandatory to graduate.
    Took me 4 years to finish a skirt, which my mom promptly took apart after I left to go in Army.
    Made it into curtains

maxine and COSunflower like this.
  18. COSunflower

How white should our R/W/B white fabric be? I bought some what I thought was white - white stars on kind of a cream background but when I washed and dried it, it has more of a pinkish look (to me) with the white stars. Should I buy something that is MORE white? What kind of white is everyone else using? I am going to make up a practice block using the white that I have and see how it looks. I'm afraid that being next to the red fabric it will look even pinker!

I ordered a couple quilting books from Amazon that came today. :) One is for my granddaughter Jessica - "Quilts For Beginners" - By Felicity Walker - which is VERY good! It's a paperback and only 61 pages but covers fabric selection for quilts, preparing your fabric, tools for quilting, seam allowances and pressing etc. and sandwiching your quilt together/binding. It also has 3 simple projects. I am sending it home to Bandon with her dad this weekend. He is stopping by on his way home from hunting on Sunday (scouting).

For myself, I got "Quilt As-You-Go Made Modern" by Jera Brandvig which is very good also! Lots of visuals and pattern drawing/measurements etc. and 13 projects to practice on. :) I don't have room to put up a big table to lay out a quilt and I can't get down on the floor like I used to. When I was working I would take my quilt tops, batting and backing to school with me and after school I would lay it out on my big classroom tables. Now I'm retired without access to big tables. I think quilting as I go will be the trick for me. Anyone else do it???

Does anyone know if Tall Pines is still on HT? She used to join our quilt block swaps all the time.

19. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

How is everyone coming on their quilt blocks?? I hope to get everything cut out and start sewing by Tuesday as DH is out of town for a few days.

20. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't done a thing on the summer blocks (RWB are finished). I've been working on a mystery on another board, the Grandmother's quilt Calico Katie posted about, finishing three other quilts, and making some Triangle Frenzy table runners. I've fallen in love with that pattern and just ordered a second one that makes a different arrangement.
    I'll get back to the Summer swap in a couple of weeks.

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.