2017 Summer quilt block swap starts now

Discussion in 'Swaps/Work-Alongs/Tutorials' started by Belfrybat, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I decided to get busy today and chose the patterns for both blocks. The R-W-B is a triple bordered four patch and the What Summer Means to Me is the disappearing 9 patch. I've pulled the fabric for both blocks, washed it and have it line drying. Later today I'll iron it all while it is still damp. Whew! I feel so industrious. :D

2. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

Welcome BigHenTinyBrain!!! It is so nice to have another quilter in our little group! Can you tell us a little about yourself and family? :)

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

Welcome BigHenTinyBrain. We are glad to have you join us.

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  4. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

I am going to do a log cabin for the RWB and haven't decided on What Summer Means To Me.

5. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome aboard BigHenTinyBrain,
    Haven't a clue on either pattern or colors for summer block.

Belfrybat likes this.
  6. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

Thank you Maxine and Belfrybat for contacting me. Sorry I dropped off. We have had so much craziness going on closing our businesses. Been in a slump!! Time to get back out of that and live. I would like to join the summer swaps. I will go back and read through the posts so I am caught up.

7. maxine

maxine Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh Rainedaze I'm so glad you are joining us!! YAY!! brings us up to 10 awesome quilting friends..

Jlynnp & Belfry good job on deciding on your blocks.. I do like the idea of Log Cabin for the R-W-B but I also like a Star Block too.. have lots of ideas whirling through my head for the Summer block.. just not sure how to incorporate them..

Kim hope you are feeling better.. :)

MoBookworm1957 and Belfrybat like this.
  8. COSunflower

Thanks Maxine, I Am better but had relapse of intestinal problems again today. A friend is sending me a new start of kefir grains next week so that I can get my gut bacteria back on track. rainedaze! Sooo glad that you are joining us!!! Maybe some sewing will help take your mind off of business. :)

MoBookworm1957, Belfrybat and maxine like this.
  9. Belfrybat

Welcome, Rainedaze -- glad you are joining in the fun.
    Maxine - I was considering a star block as well, then found white fabric with blue and red stars all over it, so am using it.

Well, I'm bummed. I found this great block pattern for the R-W-B and made up a sample and it trims at 13.5". :eek: I looked again at the pattern and if my calculations are right, it would be 13" -- but the book calls it a 12" block. The pattern is from an older book (1992), so I wonder if they used a full 1/4" for seaming back then instead of a scant 1/4"? The pattern is not written for rotary cutting and that might also be an issue in the block coming out larger. At any rate, I can cut the inner four patch down to 6 instead of 6-1/2, and maybe if I use a generous 1/4" seam, that will knock another 1/4" off the total? I sure hope so as I have the strips all cut out and I really like this block -- simple but elegant.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  10. BigHenTinyBrain

BigHenTinyBrain Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I've done the forum quilt projects before, but it looks like the swaps are a little different. Let me be sure I know what I need to do- we use our own stash fabrics to make one block of each (r,w,&b and summer colors) for each participant, plus a single block for the hostess, so far meaning a total of 21 blocks to make? Then we all end up with a stack of blocks to each make tops? And the hostess ends up with blocks for 3 tops- is there any guideline for style/color for the hostess block?

I'm looking forward to this project. I'm in the midst of opening a fabric and quilting store with my Mom, this will be a fun way to spend what little down time we have this summer. I have to admit though, I have a short attention span for block making so I will probably not be able to stick to a single block pattern through the whole process! I'll probably send out a mix and match of blocks for each top!

I like doing these projects because I can pull out my favorite quilt book (501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks by Judy Hopkins) and leaf through until something catches my eye, but I'm not committed to making a whole quilt worth of whatever I choose.

11. Belfrybat

Yes, you have it -- we send our blocks to the hostess (Maxine) with a postage paid mailer and she mails back a block from each participant. So we will each end up with 10 R-W-B blocks and 10 Summer blocks.
    I plan on asking Maxine if she has a preference of what colour hostess block she wants.
    Also, many of us make the hostess block different from the others and more detailed. It gives me a chance to make a block that I don't want to make more than 2 (I always make 2 hostess blocks and keep one for myself).

ETA: if you are using up scraps, it's OK for the blocks to have different fabrics but along the same colour lines as the others. For this past swap, I made a friendship star block with the two of the same fabrics but then varied the third to use up scraps.

12. maxine

BigHenTinyBrain, Belfry said it exactly correct, and I might add,, much better than I could have .. :)

I want to remind everyone that your blocks need to measure up at 12 1/2" so that when you sew them in the quilt they are 12".. the 1/2" is the seam allowance..

Oh Belfry I'm not sure what to say for a color of my Hostess Block.. I guess right now I'm leaning towards the RWB.. my favorite color is Turquoise but not sure that will work in either block.. I do like you do, make two Hostess Blocks, one for me and one for the Hostess so maybe that might help,, :)

Kim Glad you are feeling better.. when our bodies get out of whack it can be so miserable.
    Mo thinking of you..

Okay let the sewing begin !!

rjayne and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  13. COSunflower

Today is my first FULLY WELL day - YAY!!!! Let the fun begin!!! Going to search patterns while I wait for payday to get here at the end of next week and will then order some fabric. Don't have anything left in my stash that would work for either of these blocks. I have an idea of what I want to do for the r/w/b. BigHenTinyBrain - That is WONDERFUL about you and your mom opening a shop!!! Keep us posted on how it is going!!!

maxine, Belfrybat and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  14. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Just checking in. So, 9 RWB and 9 Garden favorites and one Hostess, correct? I did hit Joann's for some of the RWB on sale fabric, I may use it or go looking in the fabric stash. I'll need to check on flowers/garden stuff. I haven't decided on a block or set of block designs. I may even consider paper pieced for one set of them.

Welcome to BigHenTinyBrain, I see you've been here awhile, but I'm sorry I don't remember you.

And there is no rule by anyone that says we cannot show the blocks before mailing. If the group decides to do so. We have in the past not shown them due to making them a surprise factor. I'm glad of those in this swap, and sorry some cannot do this swap, but I sure do understand being way too busy.

Angie

Belfrybat and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  15. maxine

Oh dear Angie.. we are up to 10 ladies participating now!!!!!! I will post a complete list of all the names tonight.. don't have my computer right now, so can't.. I was hoping a couple more would jump in at the last minute.. maybe !!??

16. maxine

1. Jlynnp -received info
    2. rjayne- received info
    3. MoBookworm1957- Need info
    4. Belfrybat- received info
    5. CoSunflower- received info
    6. Meima6- Need info
    7. AngieM2- Received info
    8. rainedaze- Need info
    9. BighenTinyBrain- Need info
    10. Me- Maxine -I think I've got it ! :)

I still need a couple of ladies info,, If I have forgotten to pm you with my info please let me know

Ladies I am going to play a game with you all,, I'm hoping you all post how you are doing at least once a week, so I have picked 3 numbers at random.. Whoever posts on that number will win a PRIZE !!

Everyone keep well.. :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  17. MoBookworm1957

sent info

maxine and COSunflower like this.
  18. COSunflower

Sounds like fun Maxine!!!! For me, posting about the swap while working on the blocks is part of the fun!!! I think it builds community and friendship among our little group!!!

maxine, Belfrybat and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  19. MoBookworm1957

I can't start on new blocks till I deep clean my sewing room.
    Even the top of Strawberry's kennel is covered with fabric.
    Going to rearrange furniture layout too.
    Get a better flow going. Going to Menard's (home improvement store) get counter top scrap to fix cutting table desk.
    Did you guys get the pun; using scrap counter top for cutting table desk.
    Think I will do something simple, but don't know what yet.
    Have to take time off to celebrate OS birthday on the 4th of July.
    But should be done by YS birthday in Sept, 5th. Off to take much needed nap.
    Fainted last week at doctor's appointment got to spend 2 wonderful days in hospital

maxine and AngieM2 like this.
  20. Jlynnp

Jlynnp Well-Known Member

Are you doing OK Mo?? Becareful overdoing it, sure don't want you to get sick.