Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am a pumpkin nerd. I love pumpkins.
This year we only grew a few hills of Connecticut field pumpkins, 3 vines of Big Max pumpkins and a row about 25 foot long or so of Jack Be Little pumpkins.

Next year we are planning 3-5 acres of pumpkins, gourds, and a few other winter squash.

Our dream is to one day be able to expand to have a large u pick pumpkin patch, corn maze, the whole fall festival shabang.

Who else grows pumpkins?

Please tell us how your crop did this year and please share pictures.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I don't grow them anymore but I am a definite pumpkin and gourd nerd. What did your largest pumpkin weigh this year? Did you have any local giant pumpkin contests?

I wasn't the best to grow pumpkins or gourds but it was the most fun. Back then I was a pre-K teacher and I grew Jack Be Little pumpkins to give to my students.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My biggest this year was a big max, we are guessing the weight at between 140 and 150 pounds.

I might have been able to get it bigger, but quit breaking off new blossoms. Three vines, and we got several pumpkins from them. Next year, I am considering an Atlantic giant, but as far as I know, there are no pumpkin weigh offs around here.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I dont grow but a few vines.
All but but one was eaten by vine borers.

It was a pie pumpkin. I made pumpkin bread out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I grew pumpkins for the first time this year and was extremely pleased with what I got. I had about 30 of the small ornamental ones, 10 or so medium pie pumpkins and a couple of large ones. I thought they were done about a month ago and seen new blooms last week and found several more green, medium size ones and one large, dark green one. I really hope it ripens before Halloween so the kids can use it for a jack,o latern.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1412693378.087580.jpg

I hope he pic shows up. This is how my pumpkin patch looked back in August.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
I have been growing strictly neck pumpkins for a few years. i keep thinking i should grow some jack o lanterns...but i dont want them cross pollinating with my neck pumpkins

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
2,014. That's a lot of pumpkins!

Ok so I'm in a goofy mood tonight.

Reactions: Dixie Bee Acres

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Our town has a Pumpkin Fest. Every year they drop a huge pumpkin from a crane onto a car or something and crush it. This year I hear they are dropping 2 giant pumpkins.
I haven't grown any pumpkins for several years but there's always next year!

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
there is a local campground that has a boat race across the lake in a boat you carve out of a giant pumpkin (probably a gourd, one of those huge ones that wins first prize for heaviest at the fair each year). then you get in (usually the smallest family member) and paddle (only one) as fast as you can and try to go in a straight line and not sinking. Its lots of fun to watch

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The small patches is all I have ever done before, but that's not going to be good enough for me any more. I want thousands of them next year.
Pumpkins, other squash, gourds, etc.

We are already planning out our pumpkin displays for next year, including a pyramid built from 55 bales of straw, stacked with pumpkins, gourds, and mums. My old rusty farmall h, with a rack wagon hitched to it, both covered in pumpkins.

Yup, like I said, I'm a pumpkin nerd.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our plan is to sell them. First year will be hard to sell a lot until we really know what we can produce on the land available.

If we have to give several away the first year, so be it.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, but that's about the same with everything. Preventive measures do some good, dacomil does more, warriorT does the rest ( if I can find someone licensed to apply it)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts