Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a request to start this thread. Post your pantry pictures here to inspire the newbie canners. Show them how much can be accomplished if you work hard! While it may not be cheaper, it is soooooooooooo much better!

This is an older picture, but I pretty much can the same things & it usually looks pretty much like this. I have added a few more shelves, but because this is on an enclosed porch it is hard to get a good picture. My shelves will hold 4 quarts deep or 5 pints deep.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It must make you feel warm inside looking at that and knowing you are ready for winter. Is the white stuff in the top left corner lard?

T

·
0 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh! re-newbie canner. And now I feel inferior! LOL! :)

... My maters aren't ripe yet!

:)

·
Saltine American
6,608 Posts
nice ..

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Top shelf is milk & tomato juice. Next shelf down is canned rabbit, canned beef, broth, & sausage. Next shelf down is greenbeans & pizza sauce, next is beef stew, vegetable soup, & cherries. Next down is apple juice & canned apples. Next is grape juice, a couple of jars of apple pie filling, & some jelly. Next is peaches, pears, & apple pie filling. Next is peaches & applesauce. Next is saurkraut, some boughten canned goods, & a bunch of different jellies.

I now also have peach, blackberry, cherry, & strawberry pie fillings. I also have canned meatballs in spaghetti sauce, spaghetti sauce, tomato soup, sweet pickle relish, & some salsa.

I usually can the same things because it's what we like & what we eat. I didn't do any apple stuff this year as I have plenty from last year. I have some roasts in the freezer that I'll can up when it gets really cold out. Helps heat the house over the winter that way. I also have about 40 rabbits in the freezer that I'll can up sometime.

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks..:thumb:

I can a lot of meat mostly because my freezer is full..:D

Do you grow your own fruit?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of the fruit is my own, others I get from people. If someone has fruit they want to give me, I'll take it.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Love it, nice work. I did more canning this year than ever before, but just hot water bath, haven't made the leap to a pressure canner yet. That photo is inspiring, shows all the other things you can put up besides jelly and salsa and such! Love the canned rabbit, our cousins raise rabbits and I would rather have the canned rabbit meat than frozen when we traded for it.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the rabbit in place of chicken in recipes. You can't tell the difference. Rabbit noodle soup, rabbit pot pie, make gravy with the broth & serve with noodles or mashed potatoes. YUMMY!! I have 19 more rabbits to butcher in just a few weeks. My freezers are packed!

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
I use the rabbit in place of chicken in recipes. You can't tell the difference. Rabbit noodle soup, rabbit pot pie, make gravy with the broth & serve with noodles or mashed potatoes.
You can't tell the difference when you can it because the texture is so much better in canned rabbit than in fresh or frozen. I like it better canned.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Wendy, you and 7thSwan are my heroes! I hope she posts hers here too. You're both a true inspiration to those of us middle-of-the-road canners too, not just the newbies, lol! :) I can a lot of different things, but nothing like the sheer volume you do. :clap:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I thought you all might enjoy the creepy under the stairs shelves I utilize. I store in boxes and rotate out for easy access. On the other side is fruits, chutney's and jams. The shelves truly under the stairs are perfect for pints and extend quite far back on the lower shelves. They all get dusty and cobwebby very fast! It reminds me of creepy canned meats in cellars I always saw as a kid in Maine - now I love it! I made DH put bumpers on the beams, I'm always smacking my head getting in there!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I hope I have finally posted in the correct thread....LOL Here some pics of the canned goods stuck throughout the kitchen where ever there is room. I love that so many have a nice large pantry.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
Lovely!

I stash my preserved food here and there, which can be lousy if you forget what all you have! It seems if I do not see it often enough I never get around to using it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts