Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, Icelandic sheep are typically shorn twice a year. Traditionally, the spring fleeces were used for felt or sacks or sails or other rough things. Poorer nutrition from hay, dirt from being in a barn both lend themselves to just average fleeces, as well as the stress on the ewes of growing new lambs. In the fall, sheep are shorn again, and lambs for the first time. This fleece is supreme, soft, and downright luscious! The sheep have had good nutrition all summer long and have been outside in a clean, grassy pasture. Plus, lamb fleece is always softer than adult fleeces.

We have six lamb fleeces and a few adult fleeces this year. Because of my parents' house fire, we couldn't have the shearer out so most of the adult fleeces were a felted mess. A couple rooed their fleeces out and had nice fleeces. Some had slightly felted tips.

We are selling the adult fleeces for $10 a pound and the lamb fleeces for $30 a pound. Remember, Icelandics have very low lanolin so you are really getting a pound of fiber. Most adult fleeces have about 3-4 pounds of fleece, and most lambs have around two.

So, without further ado, here are pictures of the sheep. I don't have pictures of the fleeces off the sheep, but I can take some if you want. Just holler!

:banana:

So first we have a couple of little white ewe lambs. We have a few of those. All white, all almost sparkly.

Then we have a silver ewe. She was an adult, I believe. Her fleece is pretty luscious.

Then we have a little silver moorit ram lamb.

Then there is Gunnar, the father of the flock. His fleece is huge, our shearer said 8 pounds, but it has some felty bits. I will be skirting those out.

Last, here is a picture of the fleece Philip claimed, and the sheep it came from. It's a lovely silver moorit. My mom has already sold the ram to another breeder out west. He's one of our best lambs in a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. It's possible that one with the black face was a lamb. I'll ask my mom and check the fleeces.

Gunnar wants to know where his fleece went!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Kelsey, Put me down for one of the Lambs. :sing:
Are you skirting these?
I trust you to pick me out a good one!
Let me know where to send payment.:D

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Beautiful! I love Icelandic to spin. Sadly I'm not going to get any, I have several in my stash I really need to start using.

Reactions: hercsmama

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What color do you want Hercsmama? I have white, silver with black tips, and a grey.
And yes, I'll be lightly skirting these. Icelandic don't have enough lanolin to hold their fleeces together in a blanket, so I'll basically be removing anything terribly dirty, felted, or full of hay. (Anything that won't wash up.)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Hmmmm, Silver sounds nice, or grey...I trust you, just pick me out something yummy!:thumb:

Reactions: Marchwind

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
or the silver ewe in the picture? so you can get the whole fleece or just by the lb, right? Is this a good breed to venture into with? I have only spun roving, and only merino at that.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, Hercsmama took the silver one with some black in it.

I have an adult ewe fleece that is has black. It's a little coarser than a lamb fleece, but still very nice. I will sell it by the pound. :)

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
shoot!:facepalm: so the adult is $10.00 per lb, how much does the fleece you mentioned above weigh? I think I would like 2 maybe 3 lbs. also, would this be a fleece to use valkyrie combs on? Would it be the 2 row combs or the 2 row mini? or the extra fine? I am so confused when it comes to the combs.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will weigh fleeces today. Sorry, things are crazy here getting ready for Hostfest.
I've used both two row mini combs and single row full sized coma with great success.
MamaJ, I have all the white lamb fleeces left and Gunnar's adult fleece still. And a moorit adult fleece from a yearling. :)

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
I will weigh fleeces today. Sorry, things are crazy here getting ready for Hostfest.
I've used both two row mini combs and single row full sized coma with great success.
MamaJ, I have all the white lamb fleeces left and Gunnar's adult fleece still. And a moorit adult fleece from a yearling. :)
leaning towards the moorit...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts