2006 Agricultural Identification Survey??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jun 14, 2006.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............I , just rece'd in the Mail aN FDA Ag survey form of 4 pages of Questions !! Now , I don't own any animals , don't grow any crops , in fact I don't even have a dog . So I'm left wondering , IF , this form even applies Too me . I'm going to be selling my land and don't even know if I'll ever purchase any more land . So , has anyone else rece'd this same federal form ?? , thanks , fordy... :shrug:

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Ours came yesterday. It doesn't say anything anywhere on it about it being mandatory, so I probably won't fill it out.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Sounds like what my neighbors got last year. They ignored it until they started getting phone calls. I'm guessing this is very similar to the woman who was in here today telling me her job was to visit farms and report how many animals were there.

4. homebirtha

Eewwwwwww!!!!

5. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've gotten several of them over the years. If it's like the ones I get it's mandatory. I tried the "ignore it and maybe it will go away" approach, it didn't. After sending multiple copies of the thing they finally called. I gave them a little (damn little) info over the phone and satisfied them for that year. In your case I would just write NA on it and send it back.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........I agree , this is what I've decided to do . There is really NO information for me to enter on the form but I'll bet they won't like it any . thanks , fordy... :)

7. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I get one periodically and i toss it. I called when I first got one and the lady basically told me that the worst they could do was fine me $100. I recentlygot a call from them and she was pretty upset that i wouldn't give her any info and declined to answer any questions. She huffily told me that she was going to "write down that I declined to participate." I told her to knock herself out.... and hung up. I'll probably be getting that $100 fine pretty soon now....
    Tana Mc

8. homebirtha

It doesn't give any information on it about it being mandatory, what the regulation is that makes it mandatory, etc.

9. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Ignore it.

Here's a note I received from the Weston A. Price foundation on the matter.

WESTON A. PRICE FOUNDATION
    INFORMATION ALERT
    June 16, 2006

USDA Agricultural Survey

Many people have contacted us with concerns about a recent survey from the USDA. Below is what we have determined about this survey. It is provided for your information, not as legal advice.

The survey is a "screening" survey in preparation for next year's census of agriculture. (71 Fed. Reg. 7004.) According to USDA's personnel, this screening survey is not mandatory. If you choose not to answer this screening survey, there are no penalties. The USDA stated this in a phone call, but has not yet confirmed it in writing.

As for how the USDA got your name and address, the USDA office stated that they found people's information through agricultural exemptions and breed registrations. For example, if you ever registered a horse, they sent you a survey.

Next year's mandatory census will apply to anyone with a farm, defined as "any place that produced and sold, or normally would produce and sell, $1,000 or more of agricultural products during the census year." (7 USC section 2204g and 71 Fed. Reg. 7004.) The statute governing the survey states that the information gathered "may not be used for any purpose other than the statistical purposes for which the information is supplied." (7 USC Section 2204g(f)(3).) If the USDA complies with the statute, your information should not be placed into NAIS.

We will follow up on this issue, in particular the question of whether the information could be used for NAIS purposes, closer to the time of the census.