Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the a/c fixed on my minivan last week. It had a new compressor put in early last summer and this time a leak was in a hose and that had to be replaced.

It was working absolutely great until today. I drove it about 40 miles, turned it off for about 2 hours, drove about 15 miles...it was working great still, turned it off again to go in walmart for about 30 minutes, got back in and the air blows but absolutely no cooling at all. Could it possibly be some type of fuse? I will take it back next week of course but it bugs me about what could be wrong with it now. There's not any leakage or funny noises or anything, just an absolute cessation of cool air.

Thanks

Cara

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Open the hood and look, the compressor is usually mounted high on the array to the drivers side, is there any v belt pulleys without a v belt? The blowers are electricity driven units, but the cooling has to come from a mechanical source, usually provided by v belts. Sounds as if the mechanical power source is missing, not an odd situtation, belts do wear out and break.

ETA. Yes it could also be a failed fuse, the clutch is electronically engaged. Also the sensor that does the engagement could fail to preform. Without seeing face to face this is hard to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for the advice. I don't know that I can even identify the compressor but I wanted to have some ideas for when I take it in again.
The weird thing is when we went to church this morning it worked.
So now I don't know what to think. I guess I will just see if it goes out again.
Cara

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
I'll be curious to see the outcome on this question. My 98 Chev work truck exhibits the exact same symptoms. Itonly works when it feels like it - kinda like it's owner, LOL.
I suspect that a switching mechanism is not activating or a sensor is not telling it to switch, because otherwise it would not be cold and working good one time and not the next. But that's just my theory at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts