Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nobody is censoring but we do ask that members read the rules posted at the top of the forum and try to follow them.
If the folks that participate in the thread (like perhaps the original poster ;) ) cant access wherever it is that you send the thread, then i would argue it is censorship… even if one has to request special access to the discussion that began in an open forum. That implies a level of control over the conversation, and the possibility at least that someone would or could be denied the access.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If the folks that participate in the thread (like perhaps the original poster ;) ) cant access wherever it is that you send the thread, then i would argue it is censorship… even if one has to request special access to the discussion that began in an open forum. That implies a level of control over the conversation, and the possibility at least that someone would or could be denied the access.
I think it's more that you have to agree to the terms of that particular part of the forum - which actually allow greater leeway in the conversation than if you were to continue it here - than denying people access. The same way that you agree to the terms of this part of the board by posting, which the moderators determined that particular thread wasn't following in some way or another.

This area is technically more heavily censored. You could continue the same conversation by letting someone know you're willing to deal with less control of the conversation in the Dark Rooms. I don't think that's censorship, that's following the rules of the place in which you've agreed to discuss something.

·
Administrator
21,021 Posts
I would argue that members have a responsibility to follow the rules so others can continue to participate.

·
Registered
40,289 Posts
Why not ask permission to follow the conversation?

This section is for public consumption. PRDC is not public. Just ask

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
16,991 Posts
How much would this forum cost? Maybe someone should buy it and make it a free speech area.
I read somewhere on the internet it can be done.
The problem is the reverse of what you may think. In the past, several members were offended by some of the topics being posted on a homesteading forum. I think there was also a problem with some topics not suitable for children who visited the forum. The 2 biggest problems seemed to be politics and religion.

When one searches for new postings, these "offensive" posts (titles) would appear. I think the way it was addressed was to move politics and religion into a different forum that could be hidden from members that weren't interested in those topics. So if anyone wished to discuss politics and religion, they have to take action to gain access to the hidden forum.

There is a fine line between what is political and what isn't. In the past, some people appeared to purposely turn a thread political to get it moved to the hidden forum. That may have been what happened to the thread you started.

I haven't participated there for years because several people were not interested in discussing things, but in being jerks. I am fine with it being hidden, but I think the same rules of decency should apply there that apply to all the other forums.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts