2000 GMC intermittent start problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by stoney, Jun 22, 2004.

1. stoney

stoney Member

I've got a 2000 GMC Seirra p/up v-8 w/65k, twice now in a month after shutting the engine off and trying to restart about 30 to 60 minutes later, it won't start. Keep trying to start it for another hour and it'll start. I have a buddy that has a 99 Chevy that does the same thing. If anyone can give me an idea what the problem might I'd appreciate it, Stoney

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

my grandaddy had a chevy onetime that done that when the starter got hot. he put a metal heat shield over it and it fixed his problem. might be electronic to.
    coil maybe?

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

That sounds like the world famous chevy Hot No-start and is caused by the starter solenoid not liking the heat (ok so the heat causes too much resistance, but the problem is still in the solenoid). You can get a remounting kit to mount the solenoid away from the heat of the exhaust, or you can use a Ford solenoid but that requires some rewiring too. Another option is to get a heat shield for your starter - which must be what Brushbuster's granddad did.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Two other things may cure it also. When it will not start take off the fuel cap, listen for a suction sound, if you hear one then the fuel cap is not adequately venilitated, the vacuum is keeping the fuel from getting to the engine. Also try a wet rag on the fuel lines, could be a vapor lock. This is assumeing the engine turns over but will not 'catch'.

5. trtalbott

trtalbott Well-Known Member

Another thing is that your fuel pump may be sending excess fuel to the injectors after the vehicle is shut down. It won't start properly until that fuel has evaporated.

6. stoney

stoney Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it does crank normal but just won't start. Next time I'll loosen the fuel cap and pull a plug wire to see if it's fuel or spark related. Thanks

7. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

I had a 78 f150 that done the same thing turns out it was vapor locking my brother in law put 4 wooden clothes pins on the steel fuel line it never done it again! I thought he had lost his mind when he told me but it worked I guess it dissipates the heat or something.

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree with the vapor lock theory. Next time it doesn't start, use your hose and run water over the fuel line. Then try to start it.

The other thing is that the fuel pump will work intermittently just before it fails for good. Listen for the fuel pump whine when you turn your key on and off.

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

is this vehicle carburator or fuel injected? FI might have a computer problem starting, carburator may be vapor locked or as cabin suggested a fuel pump problem.

If carburator, is the fuel pump electric or cam operated? also is the carbuator tightened down ALL the way.... I had a screw loose [still do some say] and it was not noticlabe until the rest of them came loose and the 350 would not hardly run at all.... i was changing fuel filters, replacing plugs, and points, but it boiled down to the 4 bolts/screws holding the carb down to the manifold...... eventually it just plain would not start and i had to actually figger out what the cause was.... but it ran good after that....

William

10. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

I had a 91 F250 that did something similar. The dealer couldn't figure it out and blamed it on the injectors. A local shop finally found that there were bad check valves in both fuel tanks that allowed fuel to drain back into the tank. Try cycling the key on and off a few times to fill the lines before you start it.