Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a service wire 150' underground from my meter to a singlewide trailer, what type and size wires should I use?

·
Registered
291 Posts
When we ran a service to the shop we called the power company, gave them the particulars, and they told us what to get. The size of conduit to use etc. The size of the service (amps), the length of run and distance from the transformer attached to the mains, all have an effect on the cable size required. For us it was cheaper to put in the conduit and let the power company provide the cable from the transformer to the meter base.

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,613 Posts
Thanks, What would be the copper option sizes?
Just google voltage drop calculator...Southwire has one.
You can enter in aluminum or copper wire of varying sizes to get your max Vd. Up here, from meter base to house, max Vd is 3%.
5% might be allowable down south.

And as far as conduit vs direct bury, I am a fan of AWCU (direct bury armored jacket aluminum wire). It is cheap, even though you have to go a size or two higher compared to copper, at least it is affordable (copper in heavy gauge is expensive and we used to have a problem with thieves pulling copper wire as the scrap value is high). I like ACWU because I can just dig a trench of chuck it in...on the other hand, installing a conduit and pulling wire is a pain.
I had a similar deal to you, except 250ft (200amp) from meter base to RV, and another 100ft from meter base to pole (which I have to include in calculations). Then I may want to go another 120ft to another building...

I do like TroyT's suggestion about calling power company if they will give you size of cable needed (save a lot of headache).

http://www.ecswire.com/products/specs/acwu90

·
Registered
186 Posts
He said a single wide trailer, not a 3000 sqft home...

For a 150 foot run for a trailer..... hmm.. probably #1 or #2 copper for a 100 amp service..
He stated he is installing a 200 amp service. A 200 amp underground service calls for 4/0 aluminum wire.

That 3000 sqft home would use a 400 amps service fed by 350mcm wire.

copper vs aluminum is no contest, it would take 2/0 copper for a 200 amp service, and you don't even want to price that stuff.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd also contact your county inspector, about local codes. I'd hate for you to spend a bunch of money, then have your county inspector tell you your work isn't up to code.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
He stated he is installing a 200 amp service. A 200 amp underground service calls for 4/0 aluminum wire.

That 3000 sqft home would use a 400 amps service fed by 350mcm wire.

copper vs aluminum is no contest, it would take 2/0 copper for a 200 amp service, and you don't even want to price that stuff.
You are absolutely correct! Never post before first cup of coffee!!!! LOL

Wow.. 200 amps for a trailer seems big... what do you think?

·
Registered
186 Posts
You are absolutely correct! Never post before first cup of coffee!!!! LOL

Wow.. 200 amps for a trailer seems big... what do you think?
I work at a public utility, and I never see anyone install 100 amp services these days.

100 amps would probably be fine unless the trailer is total electric, in that case he definitely needs 200 amps.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
If you plan on building in the future or a shop in addition to the mobile home, you may want the 200 amp wire even, If the trailer only is a 100 amp, build with the idea of the future, as it is a real pain to have to redo some thing you did just a few years earlier, (and after a few years even if it is 10 or 20 years), time flys when your having fun,

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
200A service @ > 150' = 4/0 AL URD or 2/0 CU URD....
URD direct burial rated.
2" Conduit necessary under roads, driveways, ext, or in very rocky ground..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts