$20 Unlimited LTE Rural Internet plan with AT&T

Discussion in 'Computer Questions' started by Ava, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

So...go full contract is what I'm hearing.

2. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

The problem is that the order button is ghosted sometimes, so there's no way to place the order.

3. Nevada

I suggest going for the 2-year contract to hold them to the $20/mo agreement. You also get the device for free (you still have a $45 activation fee).

4. ed/La

ed/La Well-Known Member

Can I just go to best buy and get this deal? Any one know?

5. Nevada

You could if they have them, but they've been out for a month now. The word is that AT&T will stop selling them on the 17th of this month.

6. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I read the info on the att&t website and it seems that the device throttles the speed after only 20 or 30 GB. I use around 200 GB a month for watching movies or on-line TV. Are you using the device at home experiencing this?

7. EDinTN

EDinTN Member

I got in on this plan real early when it came available. I am well pleased with the unit and service. BUT, this device is designed to be used in your car or truck only. I use it in my car and truck when traveling.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  8. Belfrybat

But it seems many people here are using it at home with the adapter as their primary internet connection. It might be a moot issue at present as it seems it is sold out.

9. chaossmurf

chaossmurf Well-Known Member

belfrybat theres 2 parts to that 22GB issue ---
    1st---- they don't actually throttle it in the slightest UNLESS your in a high demand area ---basically they are researving the right to lower it ---so far nobody has really noticed it happening to them except a few people ona forum about it that are in big towns & even then if I remember right they said they didn't notice it happen until they were closer to 50GB ==than the listed 22GB in the contract---
    2nd ---as with ANY wireless hotspot ---you unplug it the replug it back in & whalla you at 0-GB again :) that's an old trick with wireless hotspots and it just resets your data somehow ???? no idea why it works but ive seen it work on like 3 diferent systems at friends houses in the past ----soe of the hotspots take like 2-3 minutes before you replug it in to reset it & one had an internal battery WHICH SUCKED beause you had to unplug it then wear down its battery till it died --then charge it back up enuff for it to restart itself --think that took like 2-3 hours to get your data speeds back up again beause of that darned battery inside it isuue ---but it did reset it just was annoying to do that :)
    hope that info helps :)
    oops 3rd ------ I just got the mobley hooked up and between it and my KODI box :) ive been watching all the movies in the theaters wirelessly through my mobley --WHILE watching youtube videos & playing my online game simutaneousely to test loading it down and am very happy ---having said that (disclaimer) ---IT IS NOT THE FASTEST INTERNET IVE EVER OWNED ,BUT ITS CLOSE TO MY 165 DOLLAR HIGH SPEED ENUFF THAT IM SWITCHING NEXT MONTH !!!!!!!
    20 bucks for 99% speedof 165$ package =WIN ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! !
    forgot t mention ---you DO NOT NEED THE MOBLEY DEVICE BY THE 17TH ----YOU NEED TO PURCHASE IT EITHER IN STORE OR PREFEREBLY ONLINE OR OVER THE PHONES EVEN BETTER BY THE 17TH------THEY CAN SHIP IT TO YOU FULLY REGISTERED & YOU SIMPLY PLUG IT IN & IT IS INSTANTLY LIVE & ACTIVE

10. Belfrybat

Well, after spending a lot of time on another forum discussing this, I decided to order it since it was finally back in stock. I also ordered the A/C adapter from Amazon. We'll see how it goes. I'm not very techy oriented so I hope I don't end up with some of the problems others have.
    I checked with my current provider and I use between 65 - 90 gigs a month, much more than this device is rated at. But I can cut way down on that since I do have a digital antenna that gets 13 stations. I've just become spoiled with being able to watch shows when I want to instead of when they actually come on. But if this works it will save me $62.00 a month, which is a huge savings on my income.

11. chaossmurf

hey belfrybat ---theres another device out on the market & have no clue at all what its called ---but it basically hooks to the tv & looks at everything going into the tv to record things you program it to do ---ive seen it at a friends neighbors house a couple years ago----it was his way to avoid having to get cable & still have a dvr (type) device ---maybe someone else has the thing I seen a few years back & can provide further info

it hooked up to his computer maybe ??? then into the tv ??? I didn't like the thing at the time --so really payed it very little attention :(

12. Belfrybat

Hmm -- if you find out what it is, I'd be interested in exploring it. A DVR is way above my pay-grade, and my DVD recorder/player doesn't have a tuner so only can record what I'm watching. Which negates the whole idea of having one that records!

13. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I would be lost without a DVR. I do so much taping and watching later or saving movies and watching at anytime I want and more then once if I have a feel for it. LOL I have hours and hours saved on the DVR that is part of my cable boxxcause you can't get a stand alone DVR anymore. TIVO saw to that.

Belfrybat likes this.
  14. chaossmurf

15. Mallow

Mallow Well-Known Member

For the people wanting an OTA DVR solution, I have used Simple TV and Tablo. They do have a small subscription service but connect to your over the air digital antenna and can record to a hard drive. You can then watch tv on a tablet/phone/roku player. I would recommend the Tablo over the Simple TV solution just due to better support and more updates from the company.

https://www.tablotv.com/

https://us.simple.tv/

16. chaossmurf

by the way ---a few things ive been informed of through the tech department there & the store

ONCE you have a your account --you can always order in another unit for family members ON YOUR ACCOUNT

AND YOU CAN ORDER THE MONTHLY PLAN AND THE UNIT AND GET IT ACTIVATED AND ALL THE ANNOYING BORING PART ---then once its delivered you have 14 days to test it then bring it back to get it returned and disabled --in the case you done want it FOR ANY REASON AT ALL and you don't owe a cent ---so its a free testing period of 14 days --- so theres nothing to loose to try it :) ---if ya can get there TODAY before they stop accepting new people to the deal

17. cpnkrunch

cpnkrunch Well-Known Member

Chaos, you were luckier than I. I ordered, and received, the Mobley device. plugged in 12 volt power supply and was able to connect to my laptop, but no internet. Online activation, no go. 1-800-NOSUPPORT, 20 minutes on phone to three different reps....to be told I had to take it to the closest AT&T store to get it activated ( says on side of box, requires activation). Closest AT&T store - 90 miles. Took it in this AM, took 10 minutes and I am supposed to be good to go. Go figure!

18. Belfrybat

Well, I'm returning my device. I ordered the A/C adapter from Amazon, plugged everything in and got it working but the speed is abysmal. It is just not powerful enough to play videos, even the embedded ones in websites stutter. My apartment faces south and that apparently is a problem in this area as the tower is to the north, so even putting the device close to a window doesn't work very well. But it was a nice experiment.

But the good news in all this is when I called to cancel service with Suddenlink, I was transferred to the "retention dept." and my bill was cut in half, at least for the next year. So although returning the device and the adapter will cost me a bit of $$, the end result was worth it.

19. cpnkrunch

cpnkrunch Well-Known Member

Works out that I don't have enough signal strength to connect to the net where I wanted to use it. Now I must be in the Boonies! i will keep it because at my normal residence, 30 miles north of KC. It gets 5 times the speed of Centurylink, who BTW have oversold the area and have no plans to improve performance. SO laptop on wireless is 5 times faster than desktop on DSL. Go figure. Gonna look into porting it to a router ans tell Centurylink to KISS my Grits.

Belfrybat likes this.
  20. Belfrybat

Even though it didn't work for me, I think it's a fabulous idea, especially for under served areas. It's still available, so the July 17th cut off apparently wasn't a firm date.