Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played a game with myself this morning. Went to the store to just shop for my stockpile supplies and my goal was to only spend 20 dollars (just wanted to see what would happen), buy nothing made in China, and try to buy only things that have a shelf life. I also wanted to buy things we will eat and use. Was a good workout in math as I forgot my calculator! LOL (thunks self in head)

I had fun actually.

Here is what I got. (I spent 20.95 total)

2 Butterball Chicken Broth, on sale for 2 cans for 1.00
Bag of Pinto Beans, .59
Ramen Noodles, on sale 5 for .89
2 cans of Peas, on sale 2 cans for .88
2 cans of Corn, 2 cans for 1.00
Tea, on sale for 1.00 (not my normal brand, but couldn’t resist the sale)
Big bag of Brown Sugar, 1.33
Flour, on sale for 1.25
Cinnamon, .59
2 packages of yeast, .63 each
2 small cans of Evaporated Milk, .67 each
Salt, .49
Baking Soda, .50
Corn oil, 1.59
Pasta, .98
Spaghetti Sauce, 1.00
3 cans Soup, .59 each (I think, I forgot to write it down, lol)
Matches, .67
3 Gallons of Distilled Water, .67 each

I have some stuff stockpiled already, but so many folks are trying to get going and all, why not just see what you can tuck away for 20 dollars? Is a simple start. :)

Anyone want to play? ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hmmm . . . I love a challenge! Does my shopping trip from yesterday count? As far as food, I only bought milk, so here's the prep items I found:

National Pressure Canner $10
Flour Sifter .99
2 dozen canning jars 2.00
2 10 packs of matches 1.98
5 shirts 2.50
3 pair of wool socks .30
potato masher .25
for a total of $18.02 + 1.08 sales tax = $19.10

Everything except the matches came from thrift stores. After next payday, I'll see if I can add more to our food preps.

Maggie

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Ok I will try...from what i have bought in lost leaders this past week

10 boxes of jiffy cornbread mix at .20 each= 2.00
1 bottle vegetable oil=1.00
1 10lb self rising flour .89
I large package of elbow noodles .99
1 jar of yeast 2.49
5 16 0z bags of beans (2pinto, 2black eye, 1 small red beans) @ .69 each=3.45
1 10lb bag of rice 1.99
5 cans of spam @ 5.00 ( a 5 for $5 special)
1 large bottle of syrup 1.35.
3 cans of tuna at .99

I have my own vegetable garden,fruit trees, chickens & eggs, and soon to have the dairy goats..so to me that would round it out nicely:

For breakfasts: Either eggs and spam or pancakes
For lunch: Hot spam sandwiches with homemade mayo or tuna sandwiches or even egg salad
For dinner: beans and rice, cornbread, veggies, fruit or tuna casserole with rice pudding (I also got cinnamon and sage in large 1lb jars for .69 yesterday) or grilled chicken, rice, veggies)

Part of the fun for me is to buy as little as I can and plan menus around only those items...sometimes it gets hard based on what they have on sale for the week.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does my shopping trip from yesterday count?
Sure it does!

Wow magnolia, you did really good with 20 bucks! Getting a pressure cooker for 10 dollars sounds like a steal!

Got to love Jiffy cornbread Antilifegrand! We are lucky and get it on sale here a lot too. You got some good bargains also!
:)

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
good job.....keep it up and you will have a nice stock pile for TSHTF.you all have done well for sure.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Aintlifegrand, where did you find yeast for 2.49 a jar?? I have been paying anywhere from 6-8 dollars a jar!! I can get a 3 pack for what you paid if I am lucky.

Sherry in Ga

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
we have such a huge garden that our preps are usually in 50 and 25 pound bags or gallons. so for $20 , I would get 25 pounds lentles $5, 25 pounds pearl barley $5, gallon cooking oil $4.50, case top ramon $2.50, pound of yeast $3.00.

The next time I would get 50 pounds of either brown rice, oat meal, whole wheat flour for about $14 and the other $6 I would have my choice of 1 or 2 #10 cans of pineapple, apple sause, or ketchup, mustard or that icky canned cheese, 3 pounds of raisins or 2 boxes of 100 count green tea.
Another time I would buy 50 pounds of pinto beans for $17 and have $3 left for a 25 pound bag of salt or a can of baking powder.
Then I pretty much start all over again. Been doing this for the last 2 years, Some times I switch over and buy 2 or so cases of canned goods from the canned goods store. or as many cans of coffee as I can get for $20 at $3.50 a can.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I wouldn't eat ramen if it were free! Ok, maybe if I were STARVING....Some of the inexpensive items look good, but I don't like the idea of buying processed cheap food like spaghetti sauce no matter how cheap it is. Makes you wonder how the company can afford to sell it so cheap.

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
farmergirl said:
I wouldn't eat ramen if it were free! Ok, maybe if I were STARVING....Some of the inexpensive items look good, but I don't like the idea of buying processed cheap food like spaghetti sauce no matter how cheap it is. Makes you wonder how the company can afford to sell it so cheap.
There is just as much MSG in the broth as there is in the noodles. Hopefully it's just for emergencies.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good job shopping! I may try this challenge too!
I hope you do Bella! Was kind of fun. :)

keep it up and you will have a nice stock pile
Working on it Elkhound :)

find a dollar general and the ramen soup is 10 for a dollar
Ahh, now you tell me. :) I don’t usually buy them (we’ve had them before, but has been awhile) so wasn’t sure if it was a bargain or not. Sounded like it. :)

Aintlifegrand, where did you find yeast for 2.49 a jar??
Yea, where did you get that? I can’t get it for that price either! :help:

I’m envious of your big garden SquashNut. I can’t wait until we sell our other house so we can put all our attention into this one! (hope to have a wonderful garden next year!) :)

I would rather make my own spaghetti sauce Farmergirl, but I am afraid I will do it wrong and poison my family! Lol I am working up the nerve to get a pressure cooker (heard stories as a child about exploding pressure cookers) so I can begin to learn. Right now I just can jellies and stuff like that. :stirpot:

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I don't think I could stomach the Ramen noodles either! Some of the other stuff I wouldn't mind having on hand though.

Sherry in GA

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you loan me $20?
LOL Dahc! :)

There is just as much MSG in the broth as there is in the noodles. Hopefully it's just for emergencies.
UH OH I didn’t know that… (never thought to look and am not fond of the idea of eating MSG) :grump:
(need to read labels all the time, not just part of the time!)
bad me! bad me!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
With gas and grocery prices the way they are, pretty soon top ramen will be like the best treat of the week. Instead of chicken for sunday dinner we'll all have top raman.
i keep 5 cases on hand at all times. They'll taste maighty good some day.
I have to agree about the speggetti sause but it takes so many tomatoes to make a dinner of good sause even with my 40 plants I can only make sause enough for a few times a year, so we buy some too.
Just keep prepping you'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
9,543 Posts
Let's see, $20 huh....well, if I drive to town (30 miles) and buy milk....

Yep, between gas and milk -- that's about $20...lol. :rolleyes:

Milk is still going up in price here. I never thought I'd see the day when gas was a bargain compared to having milk on your cereal. :Bawling:

Seriously, I love this challange! I will be going to town tomarrow for my regular shopping trip and will give it try. I'll post tomarrow what I got for $20.

·
Premium Member
9,543 Posts
About the ramen noodles; although they are terrible for you (and full of salt besides the MSG), I consider it a good thing to stock for emergency use. They are dog cheap, store forever just about, take only 2 cups of water, you can feed a family of 4 on 2 packages and not have to double the water, makes a good hot filling meal, and takes very little energy to cook.

It isn't good for you for every day use, but in an emergency or SHTF situation, it's sure better than TVP. :)

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I prefer to buy higher quality, organic if possible, sauces and soups, but I wait until they go on sale and then stock up. We do the same with organic canned tomatoes. Another concern with the cheaper canned goods is the high sodium content. I'm sorry if I am raining on anyone's parade, I hate it when I'm excited about something and someone knocks the wind out of my sails....I just worry about balancing frugality with general good health.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Okay, I'm in for the challenge, too :) I'll stop by our local tiny grocery store and see what I can buy for $20. Might just be Marie Callendar's pies and Dreyers ice cream if that's what's on sale. LOL!

1 - 20 of 193 Posts