Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As cold as the weather is, I'm still beleaguered by these menacing pests!

They insist on dive bombing right into my newspaper, or bath, or bowl of soup!

Or, they get themselves all buzzed into my hair and then release that awful smell when an attempt is made to get them out.

I remember the days when a stray Lady Bug in the house would be gently cradled until it could be safely released outside.

One would NEVER see a proper Lady Bug annoying anyone inside their homes in the dead of winter!

Yes, yes, Martin! I know they are here to protect our soybean crops from aphids.

I just wish they'd stay OUT of my House!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
I don't have as many as I once had, but theres still a few. The smell they give off is probably the reason they dont have a predator to eat them. They are NOT the nice little lady bug but a horrible, irritating, lady beetle!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I don't know about your bugs, but I've still got stink bugs. They come out from some where's every nite when you turn on the lights. I up and grab them and chuck them in the commode or throw them outside so they freeze to death.
One night, one was flying around in the bedroom and I didn't get it. At about 2:00 am, I dreamed one was crawling on my HEAD. And guess what, it wasn't a dream, I woke up and it WAS. I threw that stinkin' thing in the commode. Flushed it too. They drive my Jack Russell crazy. She tries to catch them but we have a 2 story living room and they fly up near the fan and she is only 8" tall and blind too boot. So she doesn't get them very often.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Stink bugs? What do they look like? Japenese beetles are orange and yellow with dots on them Much like the lady bug. When they are threatened, they emit a horrendous smell unlike any other....Id like to gather them all up and take them to whomever brought them over here and put them all in their beds......ugh!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
They insist on dive bombing right into my newspaper, or bath, or bowl of soup!
So what you're saying is that you've found a free source of protein, right?:D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Yes!
You are correct!
It is the Asian Beetle that has moved in with me!:flame:
And the good news is they've marked your house with scent, and will be with you every year, without fail. Oh goody, oh golly gee.

For they do mark a place, and the scent lingers, so they can find it again next year. As for excluding them, rotaruk. Because they're small, they can crawl in through just about any crack crevase or opening.

G

·
When I had an invasion of these, I hauled out the vacuum cleaner, left any attachments off and sucked them all up..it works :)

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I don't know about your bugs, but I've still got stink bugs. They come out from some where's every nite when you turn on the lights. I up and grab them and chuck them in the commode or throw them outside so they freeze to death.
One night, one was flying around in the bedroom and I didn't get it. At about 2:00 am, I dreamed one was crawling on my HEAD. And guess what, it wasn't a dream, I woke up and it WAS. I threw that stinkin' thing in the commode. Flushed it too. They drive my Jack Russell crazy. She tries to catch them but we have a 2 story living room and they fly up near the fan and she is only 8" tall and blind too boot. So she doesn't get them very often.

Oh my goodness, ME TOO! In the kitchen around the sink, mostly. So guess what fate awaits them....mwhahaha!

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Stink bugs? What do they look like? Japenese beetles are orange and yellow with dots on them Much like the lady bug. When they are threatened, they emit a horrendous smell unlike any other....Id like to gather them all up and take them to whomever brought them over here and put them all in their beds......ugh!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
You keep your stink bugs....ewwwwwww! Yes, when you vacumn up the bugs they leave a residual smell behind. Every time you use your vacumn it will smell....At least mine does. I have a plastic dust bin in mine so I can wash it out. Thats the old one....my new vac has a hepa filter so that would smell if I used it...I dont. hahahahaha. _ 40 windchill....shouldnt that kill the buggers?

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
The colder a day the better this works. Put all humans and house animals in a nice warm car. Go through the house shut off the heat and open all windows. Return after a nice night in a hotel. Come home close windows and turn up heat. Leave and go to the hardware store and buy some pipe. Come home replace all broken pipes - the "wall fountains" really freak out the cats :eek:. But your bugs may be gone.

OR

you could just use your newspaper to cover your soup and "co-exist".

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
The colder a day the better this works. Put all humans and house animals in a nice warm car. Go through the house shut off the heat and open all windows. Return after a nice night in a hotel. Come home close windows and turn up heat. Leave and go to the hardware store and buy some pipe. Come home replace all broken pipes - the "wall fountains" really freak out the cats :eek:. But your bugs may be gone.

OR

you could just use your newspaper to cover your soup and "co-exist".
There ya go... guesse we have to learn to live with them....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts