$20 a day

Discussion in 'Tightwad Tips and Frugal Living Archive' started by Reauxman, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Rachel Ray had a show on the food channel where she had $40 a day to eat. Today I was the only one home ad didn't really feel like fixing anything, so figured I'd just eat out all three meals. I did it on about $16, which I didn't think was too bad as I thought all three meals were great.

So, if you had $20 to eat luch, where would you go? What would you get? How much would it cost you?

I went to McDonalds for breakfast, the normal sausage biscuit, hash brown and coke. Cost $3.50.

For lunch I got a Roast Beef poboy from a small shop a few miles away. Awesome sandwich for $6.

For supper I drove through a kinda local(have several locations out of state, but more around here than anywhere) fried chicken place. 4 strips, a plate full of fries, slaw, drink and a bread for $7.50.

While I know many here don't eat out for various reasons, if youhad to make do on $20 and eat 3 meals, where would it be?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...I'd probably get a sausage biscuit from McDonalds and a Diet Coke out of a machine...cost would be under $2.

Then I'd have lunch at the truck stop. They make an awesome homecooked meal for lunch...a wide variety of veggies and meats to pick from. With a drink that total would be less than $6.

Hmmm...I have a lot of money left over so I'd treat myself to Macaroni Grill!

pixiedoodle likes this.

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Breakfast at a diner is $2.99, 2 eggs, ham, toast
    Chinese all you can eat buffet $6 for lunch.
    Pretty much leaves all the options at night.

4. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

I think the 40$ a day is a must if you want to eat something besides a heart attack in a sack.

If I was at 20$ a day though I'd eat at the a fruit bowl from the grocery store, Souper Salad for lunch and maybe some Tai food for dinner.

5. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Note,
    I wasn't going for healthy. I tend to rather eat all my unhealty food at once and be done for a few months.

There are also a number of awesome local places that have good food for barely anything(chinese, mexican, etc), but I normally don't feel like going in there on the weekend, as I always bump into someone I know and it takes an hour to pick up food. A local steakhoue(read very high prices) has an awesome burger thats a $20 item at dinner for just $4 for Sat lunch. Thought I'd go there, but it's dine in only and I wasn't dressing up to go there.

I am in Louisiana after all and we don't normally tend to care too much about what or how much we eat...lol.

6. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

My local 24 hour restaurant has a breakfast special 1.99 for 2 eggs, homefries, toast and coffee. The restaurant at work has a big bowl of chili for 2.00. I would round off the day with a chicken,pinto bean and rice burrito from Moe's it comes with a side of homemade chips and fresh salsa for 6.99.

7. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

Subway is healthy and priced right. Our local one here has buy one get one free on Tuesdays. We eat dinner on Tues and lunch on Wed for about 12.00. Breakfast is usually a bowl of oatmeal at home. Eat healthy and enjoy life. Sam

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

It wouldn't be any kind of problem for me since I usually only eat one meal a day anyway - dinner. Once in a while I will have some lunch if I get up early but those days are rare.

I wouldn't have any problem at all eating on $20 a day. In fact, I'd be putting money in my pocket at the end of the day.

donsgal

9. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

20 a day that's a fortune, I can feed my family of five at home for 20 a week. Let's see if I could eat out every meal? I'd go to midway cafe for two eggs over medium and 1 slice toast no butter comes with drink, 4 dollars, lunch a burger and side salad from mcdonald's $2, and for dinner I would treat myself to ponderosa, steak tips and buffet, $8

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm thinking breakfast pizza..10" for $5 and a mushroom pizza for $5....enough for 2 days...for $10.....I like water to drink....

11. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I would buy a soda pop & a pack of pnut butter crakers and wait till I got home to eat.That is if I were going to be home that day for sure.For some reason I just cannot eat fast food these days.I could make 20$ last several days,would not be eating good but could survive.

12. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

We use about 50 bucks a month to eat lol, so 20 bucks a day would seem like I've died and went to heaven :) lol.

Kat

13. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    $20.00 per day for food?, Decadence. My breakfast consisted of grits and our eggs, about 20 cents worth. Lunch will be whatever can is in the cubbard, supper usually does not exist.

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, since the original post was about eating out for $20 a day, here's my plan:

Breakfast at the local shop, $3.00, plus tip. My minimum (know a lot of former waitresses) is $2.

Lunch? Off to the deli. Get a generous sandwich, soup, and a drink for $6.50.

Dinner is early, at the local Chinese buffet. $7, all I care to eat, and I do love their green beans and crab rangoon! A $1.50 for the bus person, and I've spent $20 on food for the day. :)

Now, if I was to blow the whole $20 at lunch, well... I think I'd go over to Bob Chinn's and have a bowl of chowder, a BIG salad, a large order of shrimp, and their most excellent rolls. Buttery and garlicky and SO yummy!

Pony!

15. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We'd be in the poor house for sure if it cost $20/day each to eat! LOL

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

If I were in a town with some nonchain restaurants- as I've had the pleasure London Paris and a few smaller European cities; and in Sarasota last month:

fresh croissants- almond and pain au chocolat please- and milk (If I could still drink it) for brekky,

an Italian or otehr 'new cuisinish' bistro for lunch for a tasty pasta or salad dish, or maybe soup and an appetizer no main course;

an icecream or other sweet a few hours later,

and for dinner if still hungry same as options for lunch, whichever type I haven't already had that or the prior day.

Here my best options are buying feta cheese and salami and eggs and making a salad with greens and onion tops from the garden, boiled eggs, cheese, salami, oil and vinegar and pepper. Next year my own eggs!

17. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

If I was going for frugal (some would say cheap ;) ), I'd have a sausage biscuit with ice water for breakfast for $1, a Rodeo Cheeseburger and ice water for lunch for $1, and dinner would be a splurge at Costco with a Polish Dog and soda, with refill for $1.50! That's 3.50, and $16.50 to put in savings. :D

Now, if I was going for yummy favorites for $20 and had to spend it all, I'd have biscuits and gravy for breakfast, lunch at the chinese restaurant, and finish it with deep-fried halibut and onion rings at the local mini-mart for dinner. If I had anything left over, I'd go for a Blizzard at DQ!

18. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    20 dollars a day would be a wild extravagance for me. I could buy a lot more than a days groceries with 20 dollars and cook for myself. But lets see, eat out 3 meals for 20 bucks... Breakfast at my favorite local, Cafe Kopi...a medium house brew with cream...1.71 and either an everything bagel 1.20 or a cranberry scone 1.95. If Im really hungry I might throw in a plain old donut 89cents. So at most 4.89 with tax if I have that extra donut and the scone. Lunch from the Cafe at the Library will cost about the same. A good bowl of soup with crackers 2.50 and maybe a bagel 1.20 and a big oatmeal raisin cookie 1.20 About 5.25. If it was a hot day a cold sandwich instead of the soup would come out to about the same price. That would leave me not quite 10 bucks for supper. If I went to MerryAnns diner, I could have my choice of any dinner there with mashed potatoes, hot veggie and bread for under 6 dollars. Tea and dessert would still keep the bill under 10 bucks. Or if it was Monday, I might splurge on the 1.00 sushi at KoFusion. 10 bucks would easily cover the bill for a nice supper there. Or if it was Friday, a fish sandwich and fries at the Esquire would cost me 6 bucks. Or their excellent grilled chicken sandwich or the grilled Portobello mushroom with provolone or the hot Salami on Pumpernickel. None of those would be over 6 bucks with fries and a drink. Or back to Cafe Kopi, the turkey and toasted brie sandwich with red corn chips and iced green tea would be less than 6 bucks or the matty poo hummus pita sandwich or the marinated eggplant. Not all of that would be really healthy, but none of it is a real killer. But all in all Id rather buy groceries for the 20 bucks and eat good for 3-4 days. :rolleyes:

19. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

We have two daughters who are musicians who have both had the occasion to perform in New York City over the past three years. At $50/day they just got by. And I'm NOT talking about anything remotely close to upscale restaurants! (Lunch at a deli isn't do-able for less than $20!) I think you have to look at the source of the story. In a major city where you have to eat out - no cooking facilities - very limited fast food chains - $40 is actually quite challenging.
    Now, if you're in a suburban or small town you wonder what planet a person lives on that can't make it on $40/day.
    BW

20. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Breakfast = bacon, eggs, grits, OJ @ Waffle Hut (around $6-$7)
    Dinner = Food bar @ Western Sizzlin Steak House (under $10)
    Supper = Food bar @ Golden Corral Steak House or Ryans (under $10)
    Snack = Huge chocolate candy bar, Fresh orange, cheese sticks. ($3)

I could eat this menu every day and always have something different for Dinner & Supper. I love the food bars as they always give choices of several different meats, lots of different veggies, a few fruits, salads, breads, desserts, and ice cream.

If I wanted to up the price a little I'd go to Texas Roadhouse. They have great steak & potato meals, but no food bar.

I could eat like a queen on $40 a day.
    I could eat real good on $20 a day.
    I could eat okay on $10 a day.
    I could eat super good at home on $5 a day, and save the extra $$$ for a rainy day. :p