Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Up North, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] ******************************************************************
    After 2 months of research and 2 trips to the breeder's farm, we have acquired 2 Purebred Hereford Gilts for future breeding stock. These two are not registered as they did not quailfy on some technicality. We will have opportunity to select some registered Hereford Gilts out of a different litter. These 2 are out of litter shown in pics taken as babies. Now they are about 50 lbs. .....This Hog Fever is taking over the Farm. We better get with the CDC in Atlanta and find a cure for it while any vestige of sanity still remains, LOL.
    ....With apologies to Ronney :) ,LOL. Will it soften the blow any if we provide you full visiting rights?

2. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

I have never seen pigs like this-their marking are amazing!

3. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Look at those faces! But I have to learn to select for traits other than adorableness.

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm interested in your reasoning for choosing Herefords. Would you share?

6. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

You are going to share right :p

7. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Thanks a lot.............now the Nurse is wanting some more.........no more cute pics!!!!!!

8. Up North

We picked Herefords for a few reasons. The biggest is that Herefords are known to do very well in a pasture system. They have thick course hair that is red so that they can withstand cold in the winter and don't sunburn as easily in the summer. They are good foragers. They reach butcher weight in 5-6 months. Equally as important they are a breed that is known to be very docile. This was a big factor with me decideing to go with Herefords. We have a boar that is half Hereford and he is awesome. He has never exibited any aggressive behavior. We can easily move him to where ever we need him. Being able to handle him so easily really made me want more Herefords. Also having 3 kids that I want involved with the animals made me want a breed that is known to be docile. We also picked them because they are somewhat unique. We also like the idea of helping to keep a breed of pig around. They are on the threatened list for the ALBC. You can check out the link on Herefords at the ALBC here: http://www.albc-usa.org/hereford.htm

Heather

9. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Hey, those are cool!!! Thanks for the pics

10. Up North

HMMM, Perhaps if I forwarded the Texas/Oklahoma section of the Hereford Breeder's directory to Mrs. MilkinPigs...............................................
    :p ........LOL.

11. Up North

Yes, they are very handsome hogs! They get their name from the similar colored Hereford cattle. The big floppy ears and a distinct and very useful nose shovel are characteristics.

12. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

They are BEAUTIFUL - healthy, sleek and a credit to you. And I'm drooling all over again :) I take you up on your offer of visiting rights when I hit the big time and win Lotto.

I think this could well be a breed that will gain in popularity.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

13. Up North

Ronnie - In the world of Livestock experience & knowledge, YOU ARE THE BIG TIME!, LOL................
    :) ..........cheers, M&H

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Defintely more than a few reasons :) I'm sure they'll do great for you. I'm familiar with Herefords, btw. Very rare to find them.

15. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I REALLY want some of those.....Can I put them out to pasture with my hereford steers? Do you think people going by would go off the road? LOL Seriously, mellow and docile is what I want too!

niki