Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need HELP!

I have two kids, one 6 months, one 2 1/2 yrs. The older one is KILLING ME! She is so smart, and so active, and the combination exhausts me. I have never meet a toddler with so much energy. Many moms of multiples ask me "How do you keep up with her?!" I am not exaggerating! On most days I have figured out how to settle her in and calm her down for a few minutes at a time to let me breathe, and we get thru the day rather easily. As much as I hate TV, I have come to rely on it a little each day, just to keep her occupied long enough to get some essentials done without her help.

But then there are other days. Like the past four days, and a week before that. The days when she doesn't slow down for anything. She doesn't pay attention to ANYTHING. Her attention span lasts long enough for her to get into something, then she is off doing something else. Where usually I direct her energy in to learning, helping, following directions, etc, these are the days when she seems not to understand anything. She won't even look at you when you are talking, all she does is run, run, run, and make TROUBLE! I can't let her outside because the place isn't fenced, and she seems to recognize absolutely no rules. She ends up down the road, in the street, in the trash. When she is inside she is in the toilet, all over the place with TP, ripping things of shelves. Yesterday she tore a book apart, just because!

Normally her hyper phases last only a few hours, maybe a day. But this has gone on for over a week now! Its starting to interfere with her nap schedule. Her routine is to wind down for a few in front of her favorite show, go in her room with Mom or Dad to cuddle and settle, and then we leave so she can settle herself, like she wants to. But there is just no settling her, she wont stay in bed!

I have another baby now, and he is very attention demanding, so I depend on her sometimes to DO WHAT SHE IS TOLD. But she doesn't seem to recognize any form of discipline, either. I am at the end of my rope, and EXHAUSTED. How can I get her to PAY ATTENTION???

Please, :help: !!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Does she perhaps have food allergies/sensitivities?

My 3 year old becomes noticeably hyper-active if he eats anything with sugar in it. He can go from a normal child to bouncing off the walls. Is your child eating a lot of sugar?

Does she behave and listen to other people or is it just you that she ignores?

If you can answer these questions we might be able to help further.

Anita
Mom to 3 boys

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has no food allergies, and there is little to no sugar in my house. I noticed a long time ago that it makes her much worse.

She listens to no one, not me or her father. She doesn't even seem to see us.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I would have her evaluated by a child psychologist or therapist. Even if it's nothing serious, they will have some recommendations for dealing with her when she's in this state. Is she getting enough exercise? You mention that the yard's not fenced, so you can't let her run around outside. I was a very active child and spent a great deal of time out of doors. I think my mother would have gone completely nuts if she had to keep me indoors all day! Maybe you can take the baby for stroller walks and the 2 year old can trot along side?

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Another thought...does she have friends from her own age group? If not, that might help too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She plays outside every day, if the weather permits. We all go outside together and she plays on the play set. She plays with the neighbor's kids if she can, they are twins her age and spend most of the day in day care. If she is having a good day, its fine. But I cannot let her out when she is hyper, I would never see her again. I cannot take her anywhere without her leash when she is hyper, not alone, and her leash got left at Grandma's 12 hrs away.

SusieM, why cod liver oil? I know this has nothing to do with her diet, I have done months of homework on that. Oh, and we do keep her on a rigid schedule, she does much better that way.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My oldest daughter was always older physically for her age. Hence, I gave her little 'jobs' to do around the house and yard-ways in which she could help me. This helped to keep her occupied. Whenever she would get into trouble, I would remember what had worked in the past and so I would either change her 'jobs' or add to them. I had to do this her entire childhood. She had to have something to occupy her.

I remember taking an hour or so in a grocery store, because she noticed the cans were out of order and she had to straighten them. I surely wasn't going to discourage that kind of helpfulness if I could help it. LOL (She was probably only 4 or 5 then)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
This may sound cruel but its not meant to be. Have you considered an overhead cable and harness? This will allow her to run until she uses up all that extra energy.

As for inside I suggest eye and hook locks near the top of every door minimizing the areas she can get into. Nap times are tough. You can try removing all but a few unbreakable toys and a mattress on the floor and just putting her in her room with a baby gate across the doorway. She may not sleep but the quiet time could help settle her down. If she gets sleepy after a bath you could try giving her one after lunch followed by a snuggle period of story reading.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Ivy DragonWind said:
She plays outside every day, if the weather permits. We all go outside together and she plays on the play set. She plays with the neighbor's kids if she can, they are twins her age and spend most of the day in day care. If she is having a good day, its fine. But I cannot let her out when she is hyper, I would never see her again. I cannot take her anywhere without her leash when she is hyper, not alone, and her leash got left at Grandma's 12 hrs away.

SusieM, why cod liver oil? I know this has nothing to do with her diet, I have done months of homework on that. Oh, and we do keep her on a rigid schedule, she does much better that way.
The cost of a new leash so you can take her outside when she's so amped up is surely worth it.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Ivy DragonWind said:
I need HELP!

I have two kids, one 6 months, one 2 1/2 yrs. The older one is KILLING ME! She is so smart, and so active, and the combination exhausts me. I have never meet a toddler with so much energy. Many moms of multiples ask me "How do you keep up with her?!" I am not exaggerating! On most days I have figured out how to settle her in and calm her down for a few minutes at a time to let me breathe, and we get thru the day rather easily. As much as I hate TV, I have come to rely on it a little each day, just to keep her occupied long enough to get some essentials done without her help.

But then there are other days. Like the past four days, and a week before that. The days when she doesn't slow down for anything. She doesn't pay attention to ANYTHING. Her attention span lasts long enough for her to get into something, then she is off doing something else. Where usually I direct her energy in to learning, helping, following directions, etc, these are the days when she seems not to understand anything. She won't even look at you when you are talking, all she does is run, run, run, and make TROUBLE! I can't let her outside because the place isn't fenced, and she seems to recognize absolutely no rules. She ends up down the road, in the street, in the trash. When she is inside she is in the toilet, all over the place with TP, ripping things of shelves. Yesterday she tore a book apart, just because!

Normally her hyper phases last only a few hours, maybe a day. But this has gone on for over a week now! Its starting to interfere with her nap schedule. Her routine is to wind down for a few in front of her favorite show, go in her room with Mom or Dad to cuddle and settle, and then we leave so she can settle herself, like she wants to. But there is just no settling her, she wont stay in bed!

I have another baby now, and he is very attention demanding, so I depend on her sometimes to DO WHAT SHE IS TOLD. But she doesn't seem to recognize any form of discipline, either. I am at the end of my rope, and EXHAUSTED. How can I get her to PAY ATTENTION???

Please, :help: !!
I briefly dated a man with a two year old. One day, a particularly trying day, his father (the 2 year old's grandfather), let out a sigh and said to me.... "You know, it's amazing how many people live to be three".

They don't call them the terrible twos for nothing, ya know. My solution would be Nyquil. Now you know why I am childfree.

donsgal

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Our youngest was the same way! A ball of Energy, busy all the time--stopping only when exhausted after 12yrs of going--to fall a sleep where he was! We finally found that swimming was the greatest thing around--I mean laps--organized lap swimming at the age of seven. It really burns up the energy. He is now 30 and swims, runs, plays racketball every day or he has migraines. He has to run before work, swim at lunch and plays ball at night.

We did the food tests for 10months. taking away certain items for 14-21 days but nothing came of it. We did find that a turkey sandwich and milk would make him relax enough (on most days) to get an hr. nap.. We tried meds. but they 'knocked' him out cold for hrs and hrs. and we had the dr. take him off it.

We also have a friend who is 58 and is still a bundle of energy.. drives everyone crazy He actually works 12hrs., does all the housework, cooks, does dishes, yardwork, garden, bathes kids and only sleeps 3hrs a night. He is underweight but eats often and alot. --his wife and children are just the opposite.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Donsgal,

Everyone has gone thru the terrible twos, including yourself. I have a son who's 4 months old and worth the hard work! We're already talking about having more kids but only after he is more independent!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Are you giving her a lot of juice. Juice is sugar. Your body doesn't know the difference in the sugar from juice and the sugar from candy. The only differnece is the juice also has some vitamins in it. I had friend who fed no refined sugar and very little raw sugar, but gave the children lots of juice and carbs, which convert to sugar. I would suspect food allergies or sugar for the high energy level. But the not seeming to see or hear you, makes me suspect autism. I would have her evaluated by a doctor.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I don't know, something about the fact that she doesn't look you in the eye bothers me. Children can be active, but there's something not quite right here.

I would do the writing down every thing she eats. It could be biochemical. I'd also see about some parenting techniques. Don't worry, you're not a bad parent. But sometimes there can be some things you overlook that would help.

I'd also look into a good preschool for a couple of hours a day. She needs some more outlets, I'd say.

I had an active one--my girl also. And one the opposite. It's hard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We don't give her a lot of juice, no. She loves it, but we restrict it to two servings a day, spread out. The rest of the time it's water or milk no matter how much she complains. I KNOW this has nothing to do with diet, we have analyzed it up and down with the doctor.

The fact that she doesn't look me in the eye worried me about autism, too, but I she is so incredibly social I stopped worrying. She runs up to complete strangers, even when we try to stop her. She wants to talk to EVERYBODY, but never listen to them! The biggest problem I see is that she has the attention span of a moth. If I could occupy her while she was hyper, I could put that energy to use, but I just can't keep her attention long enough! Even on good days there are very few things that will keep her attention.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
donsgal said:
They don't call them the terrible twos for nothing, ya know. My solution would be Nyquil.

donsgal
As awful as I felt giving it to her, yes. It kept her awake, just like it does me.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
What kind of discipline is used when she is throwing things off the shelves, doing things she isn't supposed, not listening, etc?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts