2 week old won't drink bottle..help!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rainedaze, Mar 25, 2005.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I brought home a two week old boer/fainter cross goat that does not want to take a bottle. He is nibbling on pellets and hay but does not want to drink a bottle of milk replacer. The little guy is full of life and spunk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

patience and alot of putting the bottle in his mouth and squirting small (so it doesn't run down the back of his throat and into his lungs causing pneumonia) amounts of milk in for him to swallow--that's what I do for the lambs who need to learn how to drink from a bottle

if he is eating grain, you can sprinkle milk powder on the grain

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

eatign grain would lead me to think hes most likely more than two weeks old, but Vere is right, little sips , and he will get the hang of it, i promise !
    Beth

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Was he on his dam before you got him?? If so, do not count on him taking a bottle. I have had 3 kids in the 15 years of raising goats that absolutely refused the bottle & died. Keep trying & eventually hemight get hungry enough. You might try to get some goat milk or whole cow milk from the grocery instead of replacer to see if that will make a difference. I use half goat milk & half replacer on the one kid I am feeding now & even she won't drink straight replacer because it tastes different.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

IF you can't get goats milk, just use plain sote bought milk, and if he as dam raised, he might not take a bottle. IF he is drinking water, you might put store bought milk in his water dish. but they like it at around 100 degrees .when you hold him, put the bottle in his mouth, and scratch or rub, just above his tail on his back, this causes them to drink. this is where the dam nugges them to get them to drink .and good luck. also add a drop if molasses, to the milk. but if he is eating grain, and hay, he is probably older than 2 weeks. most just pick at it at that age, and make a mess of it, and don't really eat it yet.

6. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I just went through this with a little boer cross. He had been dam raised for his first 5 days. I just put the nipple in the side of his mouth amd drip fed him so to speak. It took forever, but after 2 very long weeks, he finally got it. He still isn't great at working the nipple, but he gets the job done. Don't give up. I was tempted may times and am so glad I didn't. He is doing wonderful.
    Faye

7. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of the great advice. I will definately be trying these suggestions. All of you have been a great help. I will keep you posted.

Heather(rainedaze)